Over 240 seniors presented with academic awards

Jay Deegan

Senior Anna Chi receives an academic award at the senior awards ceremony.

Jay Deegan, Staff Writer

Over 240 Naperville Central seniors were recognized at the Senior Academic Awards ceremony on May 2 in order to celebrate their academic achievements.

The Academic High Honors Recognition was the most common award given out throughout the night.

“They are students who are either one or two year members of the National Honor Society or students who have earned 4.0 awards for seven semesters, ” said Jackie Thornton, assistant principal of curriculum and instruction. 

Students recognized in the district’s Excellence in Education Award or had a perfect SAT or perfect ACT or were National Merit finalsts and semi-finalists also recieved the award. Furthermore, students involved in College Board’s national recognition programs, such as the National African American Recognition Program, National Hispanic Recognition Program, or National Indigenous Recognition Program,  also recieved the Academic High Honors Recognition award.

More uncommon awards were also given out as well including the Illinois State Global Scholar award and more.

“The second group entails students who have earned Illinois Global Scholar diploma endorsement,” Thornton said. “Then students who had earned a diploma and endorsement for the education work that they’ve done in that career pathway. Then the seal of biliteracy, and then finally some NEF scholarship winners.”

Receiving awards throughout the night was a source of pride for her, senior Dalaeny Erwin said.

“I’m being awarded the College Board recognition program for African American students and National Honor society,” Erwin said. “I’m super honored. It’s a big deal and I’ve worked pretty hard for it.”