Annual Glow 5K run returns after two years

Glow 5k

Participants in the 2018 Glow 5K.

Jay Deegan, Staff Writer

Glow 5K, a local Naperville five kilometer run and walk event, has returned after a two year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The event expects 1800 participants, co-director Christine Roy said.

2022 is the 20th anniversary of the Glow 5k, and will benefit the Jeanine Nicarico Memorial Fund, a fund that will be used for District 203 and 204 schools to bolster their literary offerings.

“Registration is on par with previous years,” said Roy, who is also Jeanine Nicarico’s sister. “They’re coming in faster each day, as we’re getting closer to the race.”

Even with the two year hiatus, the run has returned to much fanfare.

“We’ve seen a big increase in sponsorship,” Roy said. “We have a lot of sponsors and the excitement from the community is gaining.”

All proceeds from the race go to the Jeanine Nicarico Memorial Fund.

“The elementary school for 203 would get $1,250 towards Anderson’s bookstore, for their school, for junior high, it would be $750, then for high school, it’ll be $550,” Roy said. “And then we’re doing the same thing for 204.”

The Jeanine Nicarico Memorial Fund was formed after Jeanine Nicarico was murdered in Naperville in 1985.

“It’s a way of us giving back to the community that supported our family for so many years,” Roy said. “As through Jeanine, through the tragedy of the events, the crime that happened and then the ongoing years of trials that we endured. So it’s our way of saying thank you to the community.”

Some Naperville Central students are planning on participating in the run and are also excited to see it back after the hiatus.

“It’s always been one of my favorites,” said freshman Evan Gorrell. “It’s a really great course and it’s really nice to see after COVID it coming back.”