Theatre Central to put on ‘Trap’ as fall mainstage show

Jay Deegan

Junior Jane Armstrong rehearses for Theater Central’s production of the play “Trap” by Stephen Gregg.

Jay Deegan, Staff Writer

Theater Central is set to return with its first fall mainstage play since the COVID-19 pandemic began with the play, Trap,” by Stephen Gregg. 

In “Trap,” every person but one in the audience of a high school play falls asleep during a performance and nobody knows why. The play is structured in a documentary style. Witnesses are interviewed, along with loved ones, first responders and detectives.

It’s been more than a year of not having a fall mainstage play.

“I’m excited about [having] students be able to perform again on stage,” Theater Central sponsor Susan Johnson said.

The plot point of the main mystery being in a high school auditorium and everyone falling asleep allows for  

The distinctive setting of the play makes for an engaging dynamic with the audience sharing an the experience of the audience in the play 

“It’s definitely unique staging, compared to a more traditional style of play, and we’re having a lot of fun with it,” Johnson said.

Further details of the play haven’t been disclosed as Theatre Central wants to preserve the experience for their performances

Since Central’s auditorium hasn’t had a play in the spotlight since early 2020,many of the student performers are taking the stage for the first time.

“Much of the cast is new to performing in our plays,” Johnson said. “So it’s great to have new people coming along after we’ve been gone for a while.”

Angela Lure, the only character in the play who does not fall unconscious under mysterious circumstances, is played by sophomore Angela Clark.

“I’m excited about my first time as a sophomore being in this theater performing, because last year with COVID, we weren’t able to do as many shows in the theater,” Clark said.

Due to the pandemic, audience members  will be asked to spread themselves out around the theater, and must be masked throughout the performances. 

Tickets for “Trap” are on sale now, at https://ticketpeak.co/TRAP/events, or can be purchased at the auditorium box office. Performances are on Nov. 4, 5 and 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Naperville Central Auditorium. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults.