Wiesbrook to retire after 26 years with Central, search for new principal begins

Principal+Bill+Wiesbrook+smiles+to+the+crowd+as+they+sing+Happy+Birthday+to+him+at+the+homecoming+assembly+on+Friday%2C+Oct.+1+following+his+retirement+announcement.+

Claire Yung

Principal Bill Wiesbrook smiles to the crowd as they sing “Happy Birthday” to him at the homecoming assembly on Friday, Oct. 1 following his retirement announcement.

Cameron Rozek, Editor-in-Chief & Head News Editor

Principal Bill Wiesbrook announced his retirement on Friday, Oct. 1 during the final homecoming assembly after 26 years at Naperville Central, 14 of them as principal. 

Following his public announcement to the school, a job posting for the position was published on Oct. 4. The job posting offers a position for 260 days, with no contract for any of the subsequent school years. 

The job listing for the opening lists three requirements: general administrative license, earned master’s degree and minimum five years teaching or administrative experience. The application also lists six main responsibilities: living a mission and vision focused on results, leading and managing systems change, improving teaching and learning, building and maintaining collaborative relationships, leading with integrity and professionalism and creating and sustaining a culture of high expectations. 

Wiesbrook began teaching at Central in 1996 before eventually becoming a dean for six years, an assistant principal for three years and eventually the principal. Wiesbrook knew he would be retiring this year on schedule with his pension. 

“I knew that I would be retiring a few years ago,” Wiesbrok said. “And a few years ago, I notified the district office that the 21-22 school year would be my last year.” 

Dr. Chala Holland, assistant superintendent for administrative services, will be leading the search for Central’s new principal in conjunction with Superintendent Dan Bridges. Holland is looking for community input to refer to in their search for a new hire. 

“We’ll have some feedback sessions,” Holland said.  “Meaning we will all be meeting with administrators, staff and students in groups to learn what’s important to all of you.” 

In addition to in-person efforts by Holland to communicate with students at school, administrators will also circulate a survey throughout the school community in late October where additional feedback can be submitted. 

Holland plans on using this feedback throughout the process of hiring in order to find someone best fit for the position. She hopes to collect feedback over the coming weeks to use once the application closes on Nov. 7 and further interviews begin. 

“I think this is a really important part because, of course, we’re all here for students,” she said. “I’ll be here during lunch periods, I’ll be here before and after school, just to have some flexible opportunities for students to drop in.”

The chosen candidate will be revealed at the Feb. 7 board meeting where the board members will vote on approving them. 

Although it is yet to be decided who the new principal of Naperville Central will be, Wiesbrook does believe the individual should have a few key traits. 

“I think whoever the next principal is should be very student centered and student focused,” he said. “This school exists to develop students and for students to grow and learn and flourish.”

Wiesbrook is confident that the district will be able to identify a fitting candidate who is able to understand their role. 

“It can be intense, and it can be difficult,” Wiesbrook said. “But most of my time as principal, I’ve felt incredibly supported, because we have a terrific staff here at the high school.”

Holland echoed this sentiment, further emphasizing the importance of the community in this decision. 

“I’m hoping that through this process, not only [do] people feel like it’s transparent, but they also know and feel that they have the opportunity to get some feedback along the way,” Holland said.