New Staff Profiles: Maria Harvey

William Tong, Online Managing Editor & Editorial Editor

What department do you work in? 

My position is permanent building substitute, so I might fill in for any teacher in any department. Fun!

Where are you from? Where did you attend college?

I grew up in Willowbrook, IL and attended U of I for my bachelor’s degree and Benedictine University for my master’s.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

I wanted to work in education because I personally have always loved learning, and I truly enjoy working with young people of all ages.

Did you have a previous job prior to teaching at Naperville Central? 

I used to work as a school secretary in a preschool, and I have been a substitute teacher in the elementary, junior high and high school levels.

What do you look forward to the most for this year? 

I look forward to getting to know the students and staff, hopefully getting to meet the students in person soon.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic impacted your start at Central?

Covid-19 has necessitated a whole new way of teaching and learning for everyone, which for me, has meant the opportunity to learn Zoom, a new skill!

What are your teaching philosophies, and what can students expect from you?

My teaching philosophy is that teaching and learning are all about making connections, and that students are most successful when they feel respected for who they are, safe and connected. Students can expect that I will foster an environment where everyone is heard and respected, and that I will do my best to deliver their curriculum while making meaningful connections.

What are your hobbies and interests?

I love to read. I am always reading a novel of some kind. I like to go for walks and go bike riding with my kids, and I love movies.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

My husband and I are also parents in District 203, with two boys in third and sixth grade.