District 203 releases ‘Return to Learn’ plan for 20-21 school year

In+the+hybrid+learning+mode%2C+students+will+alternate+which+days+they+learn+onsite+and+which+days+they+learn+from+home.+

William Tong

In the hybrid learning mode, students will alternate which days they learn onsite and which days they learn from home.

William Tong, Online Managing Editor

Amidst a swirl of varying and precarious scenarios around the country, Naperville District 203 has released their “Return to Learn” plan at the July 13 Board of Education meeting, which was conducted via Zoom.

Following a preface from Superintendent Dan Bridges reminding the community that plans are tentative based on constantly updating state and health guidelines, district administrators outlined four learning models consistent with state education and health guidelines during the pandemic, which includes Phase Four of the governor’s Restore Illinois plan and requires that students wear a mask at all times during on-site learning unless they receive a medical exemption. Also, no classroom or confined indoor space may have more than 50 students at a time. 

Noting that a recent survey conducted by the district demonstrated that most parents would like their children to return to in-person instruction, the option for full in-person learning remains an option though it is unlikely. More likely, the district plans to execute a hybrid experience, where students are separated into two groups by surname, alternating which day of the week they will learn on-site. Group A students will begin instruction on Aug. 20, and Group B students on Aug. 21. 

At the high schools, Mondays will alternate by week, and also replace Wednesdays as late arrival days. When students are not physically attending school, they will be required to engage in five hours of learning from home, per state requirements. 

If pandemic conditions should require it, students would move to a short term eLearning model in which students would be monitored for completion of school work and attendance. 

Finally, families can choose to enroll their student in the online academy model, a semester-long commitment to solely learn from home. This format will still focus on five hours of engagement per day, but will not be able to offer all course selections that onsite learning will. Information for the online academy will be released tonight, and registration is due by July 22 on Infinite Campus. 

The district plans on frequently communicating with families between now and the beginning of the school year. Central Times will continue to update any changes or clarifications to fall plans as we become aware of them.