Intro to Business classes complete in Grilled Cheese Challenge

Photo courtesy of Rachel Walden

The best selling sandwich in the Intro to business Grilled Cheese Challenge, the “ABC” had three unique toppings: avocado, bacon, and cheddar cheese

Prem Chandrasekar, Managing Editor

Each of the three Introduction to Business classes designed a grilled cheese sandwich. The class that sells the most of their sandwich wins the challenge.

“Everdine’s allows all of our business classes to select a sandwich to go on the menu for the night, and the classes compete to see who can sell the most sandwiches,” Nikole Epstein, who along with Christine Bell, are the Introduction to Business teachers, said.

This year, Bell’s seventh period class came up with the ABC (avocado, bacon, and cheddar) and her eighth period came up with the Marinator (mozzarella, pepperoni, marinara, and oregano). Epstein’s first period class came up with The Breakfast Club (fried egg, cheddar, sausage, and bacon). 

The ABC received the most sales with 62 sandwiches sold, while the Breakfast Club and the Marinator came in second and third with 46 and 28 sandwiches sold respectively. 

However, this challenge was more than just seeing which class could design the best selling sandwich. There was also a marketing component to it. 

“Everyone marketed the sandwiches in different ways,” Epstein said. “We had flyers, posters, we used social media and we had handouts at Everdine’s.”

Freshman Sean Lee, who was part of Bell’s third-hour class, attributes his class’s success in the challenge because of the marketing strategies his class used.

“Our emails did the trick on spreading the word about our sandwich,” Lee said. 

10 percent of all the sales from the sandwich is given back to the Central business department to help pay for field trips.