The benefits of music, art, exercise

Practicing self-care is different for everyone. Whether it be with a spa night, exercising or giving yourself affirmations and positive talk-everyone has a different way of making themself feel good. Taking time for yourself is vital to staying mentally healthy with all the stress in life. The Central Times discusses what self-care means to them and how they practice it.

Thom Blair, Sports Editor

Let’s face it, taking care of yourself and taking time out of the day for self-care is a necessity. Whether it’s a nice bath after school or maybe watching your favorite YouTuber for a couple of hours, we need that time to relax.

Throughout the rush of high school life, we tend to forget about keeping ourselves physically and mentally healthy. Personally, I set aside at least an hour every day to do something to relax and release the stresses of that day. As this became apart of my routine I began feeling more comfortable in my own skin.  

And that is one of the most important steps to self-care. Being comfortable with who you are is a big part of life and for some it takes years, but why not start now?

To relax after a rough day I’ll watch “Critical Role” on YouTube to wind down from the day before I start my homework. Yet, sometimes, that’s not enough. When I really feel up to my limit, I take that time to listen to music while working on art.

Another thing I like to do that is a little more time consuming is to go to the gym for a full workout. My workouts range from one to two hours depending on what I’m working, so I only do this if I really have the time.

Exercise is one of the best things to do in your self-care routine due to the release of endorphins. Endorphins raise your mood, reduce your stress and improve your sleep, which will help you with the next day.

Now I do not recommend what I’m about to share with you. This is just what I’ve decided to do over the past few weeks in order to create a more positive space for my body.    

I quit my job in order to spend more time on myself. In all honesty, I feel like that was the best self-care decision I’ve made because It practically cut the stress in my life in half. But like I said, don’t do this unless you are confident it’s what you want.

While my strategies work for me there is no guarantee that they will work for you. However, I found my strategies over time, and I’m sure you’ll find some that work for you as well. Some things you might want to try would be simple meditation or reading something positive on the internet.

There are many little things that can contribute to having a better day, and better days lead to a better life.