Home and School sponsors eclipse assembly

Central students gather on the football field to view the eclipse using the special eclipse glasses purchased for them by Home and School

Noelle Schwarz, Profiles Editor

Home and School helped Naperville Central put on quite the show on Monday, August 21, when they sponsored one of the few whole school assemblies this year.

“This year Home and School spent 1,600 dollars of our 6,000 dollar budget on providing glasses for all the students,¨ Gay Wons, President of Home and School, said.

These glasses were crucial for making the viewing of the eclipse possible and not damaging to eyes.

While this may seem like a large portion of their budget, Katherine Seguino, head of the  Science department, said it was more than worth the money.

“This is the first time in over a hundred years when the eclipse has gone coast to coast and we were so close to a total eclipse,” Seguino said. “It was an opportunity for not only a teaching moment but also an opportunity to just celebrate together and take awe at nature.  To do it as a whole school was really just powerful.”

There was, however, some concern for students safety as looking at the eclipse without glasses on can permanently damage one’s eyes.

“We were really concerned about students getting hurt which was why we thought it was really important early in the day to educate students about being safe through a video,” Seguino said. “That way when the students do go outside they understand the risks, responsibilities, and how to behave.”

Overall, both Home and School and the Science department considered the eclipse to be a success.

“We got very lucky the clouds parted perfectly and it was a lot of fun to watch.  I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again,” Seguino said.