• August 24Congressional Debate new member meeting will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 30 at 3:20 p.m. in room 228.

• August 24Science Olympiad informational meeting in room 323 at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 28.

• August 24Truth Seekers will meet on Friday to discuss topics for first semester.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

Home and School sponsors eclipse assembly

Central students gather on the football field to view the eclipse using the special eclipse glasses purchased for them by Home and School

Noelle Schwarz, Profiles Editor

Home and School helped Naperville Central put on quite the show on Monday, August 21, when they sponsored one of the few whole school assemblies this year.

“This year Home and School spent 1,600 dollars of our 6,000 dollar budget on providing glasses for all the students,¨ Gay Wons, President of Home and School, said.

These glasses were crucial for making the viewing of the eclipse possible and not damaging to eyes.

While this may seem like a large portion of their budget, Katherine Seguino, head of the  Science department, said it was more than worth the money.

“This is the first time in over a hundred years when the eclipse has gone coast to coast and we were so close to a total eclipse,” Seguino said. “It was an opportunity for not only a teaching moment but also an opportunity to just celebrate together and take awe at nature.  To do it as a whole school was really just powerful.”

There was, however, some concern for students safety as looking at the eclipse without glasses on can permanently damage one’s eyes.

“We were really concerned about students getting hurt which was why we thought it was really important early in the day to educate students about being safe through a video,” Seguino said. “That way when the students do go outside they understand the risks, responsibilities, and how to behave.”

Overall, both Home and School and the Science department considered the eclipse to be a success.

“We got very lucky the clouds parted perfectly and it was a lot of fun to watch.  I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again,” Seguino said.