• August 24Congressional Debate new member meeting will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 30 at 3:20 p.m. in room 228.

• August 24Science Olympiad informational meeting in room 323 at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 28.

• August 24Truth Seekers will meet on Friday to discuss topics for first semester.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

Solar Eclipse fascinates Central students

Students use their special solar eclipse glasses to view the sun during the eclipse.

Photo by Sam Wichhart

Photo by Sam Wichhart

Vivian Zhao, Staff Writer

Coming into school on Monday, nobody was sure we’d be able to see the solar eclipse. It was humid and overcast, the sun poking through the clouds then disappearing slowly after- and not in the way it should have. Those weren’t the only concerns. Parents were pulling their kids out of school because they didn’t want them to look at the sun. Others were making a 5-6 hour drive to Carbondale so they could see totality.

Of course, there was the question of whether or not the sun decided to show. After a video and three talks on viewing safety, it seemed a bit odd not to experience the eclipse our entire day was centered around.

Walking to the football field at the beginning of seventh period, I realized that that was a possible situation. I tried on my glasses; everything went dark. The white dot in the sky disappeared along with the clouds surrounding it, so the view wasn’t all that impressive. As we passed the bleachers, a group of kids shouted excitedly; for a split moment, a golden crescent appeared behind my shades, then vanished behind the shrouds of gray again.

It was just after the fire drill ended when a cheer ran through the crowd. Shadows shifted over the football field and students sank into the turf, slipping their glasses on as the sun poked through.

That’s when most of us finally saw the solar eclipse.

For me, it was the first few moments that were the most memorable. Seeing the sun through glasses looked exactly as it had on screen. The stunning golden hue stood out among the sky, which was filtered black like someone had cut a crescent shape into the darkness.

Many were similarly amazed by the solar eclipse.

“The solar eclipse was the most interesting thing to happen astronomically since I’ve been alive,” sophomore Analise Sekowski said.

Annie Kong, sophomore, agreed.

“It was an interesting and inspiring experience where I could see something I might not see again,” Kong said.

Both Kong and Sekowski watched the solar eclipse from Naperville Central’s football stadium.

Junior Alex Trickey drove to Carbondale to watch the eclipse. “[It] felt surreal,” Trickey said. “The sun’s something that is constant throughout each day, and seeing the moon slowly pass over and block it out was really strange. It felt more like I was watching a scene from Star Wars or another sci-fi movie than something that you’d see from Earth with how strange and awesome it was.”