• October 16Join Spanish Club for a Taco Fiesta on Wednesday Oct. 18 in room 89A. Bring $3.

• October 16All Prospective National Honor Society members should stop by room 313 on Thursday Oct. 19 to pick up results.

• October 16The Choral Concert will be on Tuesday Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

• October 16Multicultural Club will have its first meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 7:05 a.m. in room 205.

• September 30American Sign Language Club meets on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. in room 105.

• September 30BPA meets Thursdays at 7:15 a.m. in the INCubator room.

• September 30Medical Club will meet on Friday, Oct. 13.

• September 30JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• September 30Yearbook Club meets on Thursday mornings in room 216.

• September 30R41N, a no-cut K-Pop dance club meets Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 outside of room 219.

• September 30The Central Times meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 7:10 a.m. in room 218.

• September 30Truth Seekers will meet on Fridays to discuss various topics.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6The Boys Bowling team will have its preseason meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 3:30 p.m. in room 41.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

Film Review: Wonder Woman

Photo source: Romper.com

Photo source: Romper.com

Claire Yu, Staff Writer

Today I had the opportunity to watch Wonder Woman with a couple of my friends.

I never read the comics, nor did I do any research beforehand, so I can safely say that I had no idea what was going to happen.

If I had to describe the movie in a couple of words, I would say that it’s an “action-packed spectacle”. The majority of what I liked about it were action scenes, where we get to see Diana block bullets and round-house kick her enemies. In fact, I would go far as to say that half of the movie’s credibility is from the action alone.

The first arc of the story tells of Diana’s childhood and how she trained hard to become a great warrior. Then, we see her as a young adult, rescuing a man named Steve Trevor from drowning after his plane crashes into the island. This is followed by the first real fight scene – a showdown between German soldiers who discovered the hidden island and the Amazons. Though the soldiers’ guns definitely outweigh the Amazons’ arrows, the latter group somehow gains the upper hand. During this fight, many die – including General Antiope, Diana’s aunt who trained her in secret.

Fast forward many scenes and we finally get to see the Wonder Woman attire in all its glory -a  golden top and blue skirt that is cut off at random angles. The action is mixed with slow-motion and exploding buildings – a combination that works well sometimes and seems a bit overdone in certain scenes.

Though the sound, the acting and the action were pretty decent, the characters themselves were not at all memorable.

Diana was a “cool” character – it was nice to see her punch, kick and swing her lasso and act as a sort of comic relief at times, with a standard heroine motive behind her actions, but that was it. She seemed a little static at times. Though we saw her become interested in Trevor, their relationship seemed a little bit forced. The bedroom kiss scene, for one, just came out of nowhere. Speaking of Trevor, I didn’t expect him to die – that was honestly a plot twist that I didn’t foreshadow and it really contributed to the storyline in a positive way.

As for the antagonists of the story, there were quite a few – Ludendorff, Isabel Maru and Patrick Morgan/Ares. The one that stood out to me the most was definitely Maru, as she seemed to some sort of evil counterpart for the main heroine. Her mask and what lay underneath it was also very unique. I was secretly hoping for there to be some sort of plot twist where it turns out that she was actually the main villain, but sadly, the final battle featured a Sauron-esque Ares. The visuals were very top notch, though as the battle progressed, it became a little bit ridiculous. There were huge bursts of energy beams coming out nowhere, accompanied by a ton of lightning and exploding buildings.

Overall, the movie was decent,  just a little bit over-the-top, which may be some people’s cup of tea.

I would recommend that people watch it in theaters as opposed to computer or TV screens as a lot of Wonder Woman’s compelling features are rooted in its sound and visuals.