• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Film Review: Wonder Woman

Photo source: Romper.com

Photo source: Romper.com

Claire Yu, Staff Writer

Today I had the opportunity to watch Wonder Woman with a couple of my friends.

I never read the comics, nor did I do any research beforehand, so I can safely say that I had no idea what was going to happen.

If I had to describe the movie in a couple of words, I would say that it’s an “action-packed spectacle”. The majority of what I liked about it were action scenes, where we get to see Diana block bullets and round-house kick her enemies. In fact, I would go far as to say that half of the movie’s credibility is from the action alone.

The first arc of the story tells of Diana’s childhood and how she trained hard to become a great warrior. Then, we see her as a young adult, rescuing a man named Steve Trevor from drowning after his plane crashes into the island. This is followed by the first real fight scene – a showdown between German soldiers who discovered the hidden island and the Amazons. Though the soldiers’ guns definitely outweigh the Amazons’ arrows, the latter group somehow gains the upper hand. During this fight, many die – including General Antiope, Diana’s aunt who trained her in secret.

Fast forward many scenes and we finally get to see the Wonder Woman attire in all its glory -a  golden top and blue skirt that is cut off at random angles. The action is mixed with slow-motion and exploding buildings – a combination that works well sometimes and seems a bit overdone in certain scenes.

Though the sound, the acting and the action were pretty decent, the characters themselves were not at all memorable.

Diana was a “cool” character – it was nice to see her punch, kick and swing her lasso and act as a sort of comic relief at times, with a standard heroine motive behind her actions, but that was it. She seemed a little static at times. Though we saw her become interested in Trevor, their relationship seemed a little bit forced. The bedroom kiss scene, for one, just came out of nowhere. Speaking of Trevor, I didn’t expect him to die – that was honestly a plot twist that I didn’t foreshadow and it really contributed to the storyline in a positive way.

As for the antagonists of the story, there were quite a few – Ludendorff, Isabel Maru and Patrick Morgan/Ares. The one that stood out to me the most was definitely Maru, as she seemed to some sort of evil counterpart for the main heroine. Her mask and what lay underneath it was also very unique. I was secretly hoping for there to be some sort of plot twist where it turns out that she was actually the main villain, but sadly, the final battle featured a Sauron-esque Ares. The visuals were very top notch, though as the battle progressed, it became a little bit ridiculous. There were huge bursts of energy beams coming out nowhere, accompanied by a ton of lightning and exploding buildings.

Overall, the movie was decent,  just a little bit over-the-top, which may be some people’s cup of tea.

I would recommend that people watch it in theaters as opposed to computer or TV screens as a lot of Wonder Woman’s compelling features are rooted in its sound and visuals.