• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

JSA attends last major convention

Photo courtesy of JSA

Photo courtesy of JSA

Claire Yu, Staff Writer

On April 22 and 23, Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) members from all over the Midwest region met in Schaumburg, Ill for their final convention of the year: Spring State. The two days were packed with controversial debate topics and special activities.

For sophomore and JSA member Waverly Dooling, the atmosphere and the people of the convention allowed her to grow as a debater.

“JSA is such a supportive place that anyone can speak their opinion and will be respected,” Dooling said. “You can walk into a debate room not knowing anything about a topic yet through your peers’ speeches and quick research sessions, you’ll have enough research to present your opinion on the topic before the block is over.”

Along with Dooling, soon-to-be Chapter President Shirley Wu also shared the many highlights of Spring State.

“I have too many favorite [experiences], from the keynote speaker who talked both about the LGBT awareness organization he is in, to his philosophical musings, to Midwest Cabinet memory jars, to making no-sew blankets to Chapter Caucus.”

Spring State gave many speaking and moderating opportunities for all of its attendees to participate in. Laaiba Mahmood, another member of Central’s chapter, spoke at her first debate and won the Best Speaker award.

After hours of debating, the convention closed with the highly anticipated elections for the new 2017-2018 Midwest Governor and Lieutenant Governor. Colin Jensen, the current Central chapter president, was elected to be the next Governor. He is the first JSA member from Central to be elected Governor.

When it comes to political and social views, JSA members can be found occupying all parts of the spectrum. However, at the end of the day, members can all agree upon one thing: that JSA is an experience like no other.