JSA attends last major convention

Claire Yu, Staff Writer

On April 22 and 23, Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) members from all over the Midwest region met in Schaumburg, Ill for their final convention of the year: Spring State. The two days were packed with controversial debate topics and special activities.

For sophomore and JSA member Waverly Dooling, the atmosphere and the people of the convention allowed her to grow as a debater.

“JSA is such a supportive place that anyone can speak their opinion and will be respected,” Dooling said. “You can walk into a debate room not knowing anything about a topic yet through your peers’ speeches and quick research sessions, you’ll have enough research to present your opinion on the topic before the block is over.”

Along with Dooling, soon-to-be Chapter President Shirley Wu also shared the many highlights of Spring State.

“I have too many favorite [experiences], from the keynote speaker who talked both about the LGBT awareness organization he is in, to his philosophical musings, to Midwest Cabinet memory jars, to making no-sew blankets to Chapter Caucus.”

Spring State gave many speaking and moderating opportunities for all of its attendees to participate in. Laaiba Mahmood, another member of Central’s chapter, spoke at her first debate and won the Best Speaker award.

After hours of debating, the convention closed with the highly anticipated elections for the new 2017-2018 Midwest Governor and Lieutenant Governor. Colin Jensen, the current Central chapter president, was elected to be the next Governor. He is the first JSA member from Central to be elected Governor.

When it comes to political and social views, JSA members can be found occupying all parts of the spectrum. However, at the end of the day, members can all agree upon one thing: that JSA is an experience like no other.