• October 16Join Spanish Club for a Taco Fiesta on Wednesday Oct. 18 in room 89A. Bring $3.

• October 16All Prospective National Honor Society members should stop by room 313 on Thursday Oct. 19 to pick up results.

• October 16The Choral Concert will be on Tuesday Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

• October 16Multicultural Club will have its first meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 7:05 a.m. in room 205.

• September 30American Sign Language Club meets on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. in room 105.

• September 30BPA meets Thursdays at 7:15 a.m. in the INCubator room.

• September 30Medical Club will meet on Friday, Oct. 13.

• September 30JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• September 30Yearbook Club meets on Thursday mornings in room 216.

• September 30R41N, a no-cut K-Pop dance club meets Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 outside of room 219.

• September 30The Central Times meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 7:10 a.m. in room 218.

• September 30Truth Seekers will meet on Fridays to discuss various topics.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6The Boys Bowling team will have its preseason meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 3:30 p.m. in room 41.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

Drumshow ‘Evolution’ displays variety of percussion skills

Alana Cervera, Staff Writer

As the lights dimmed, a hush fell over the audience. Instruments filled the stage and performers prepared to play their first piece. After five months of practice, they were ready to impress the audience.

On April 7 and 8, the 21st annual Drumshow featured 14 musicians and special guests from the Advanced Steelband, the JSO combo rhythm section, horns, a couple male singers and singers from the Chorelles. The cast performed three times throughout the weekend and had a sold out show on April 7. The performance lasted one and a half hours and was built around the theme of “Evolution.”

Brandon Estes, assistant band director and director of the Marching Redhawks, explained the Evolution theme and how it related to the show.

“The idea behind it was that we were going through the evolution of percussion instruments from a more historical, prehistoric percussion,” Estes said. “We just develop through the course of the show into more modern uses of percussion and the modern xylophone and its brothers and sisters. [Drumshow] is very collaborative.”

The performance showcased a variety of songs and genres. Ranging from familiar pop songs to playing pieces with household items like flower pots and PVC pipes, the show also featured many different kinds of instruments. Songs contrasted from being loud, soft, slow, quick, and the number of performers changed each time.

“It’s a way for a patron to enjoy a percussion ensemble in a more contemporary setting,” Estes said. “They can enjoy and see the technicality, musicianship and sensitivity. There’s much more to percussion than just banging on a drum.”

The students played college-level music and practiced stage performance techniques to encourage audience participation.

Sophomores Caleb Frank and Prateek Dullur both enjoyed playing Drumshow and shared their favorite part of it.

“It’s […] more exciting,” Frank said. “[It’s] more like a show than a [band] performance.”

Dullur agrees.

“[It’s] a lot more professional with the amount of time that we practice,” Dullur said. “The general attitude is much more serious about what we’re playing. It’s more fun.”

For freshman Tori Charmoli  this was her first time playing in the show. She talked about what makes Drumshow so special.

“We add stage presence to our performance,” Charmoli said.  “We really want to make it enjoyable for anyone who comes to the show. The most exciting thing about performing is when the crowd really gets into what you’re doing. When the audience get’s excited, I get more confident, and overall [it] makes the performance more fun.”