Opinion: Daylight savings is worth the hassle

Natalie Langan, Staff Writer

It’s officially winter, folks! Daylight savings time rolled around again on Nov. 6. For many years there has been controversy over whether or not to implement DST. For those of you who don’t know, daylight savings time is when the clock is advanced forward an hour in the spring and drawn back an hour in the fall.  (Spring ahead and fall back…get it?) The existence of daylight savings time is what provides an extra hour of light during the spring and summer. 

I believe daylight savings time is worth the hassle of changing the time on my clock. There are many benefits to extra sunlight, like how people tend to be in a better mood when they are able to see the sun. This is because sunlight increases the brain’s release of serotonin, which is known to boost one’s mood and reduce anxiety and stress.

Extra sunlight also means safer evenings. According to Jennifer L. Doleac, PhD, and Nicholas J. Sanders, PhD, more daylight makes driving easier, reducing car accident rates and injury. This also decreases robberies by about seven percent since they tend to happen during the evening when people often go out. With more daylight, it is easier for one to see and address a threat. 

Then, there’s also the fact that people tend to do more activities in the spring and summer. With students on break and many families going on vacation, it’s very convenient that it remains light outside longer. That way you can stay up later playing basketball with your friends, going to the pool or hosting a BBQ.

There’s no question that having to switch the time on your clock twice a year can be slightly inconvenient, but the benefits that come from it are definitely worth it.