76% of weighted Career and Technical Education course enrollment is male. Heres why.
76% of weighted Career and Technical Education course enrollment is male. Here's why.
Javen Oswald, Marketing, Outreach and Engagement Managing Editor • May 17, 2024
Four Central teachers retiring at end of year
Elaine Zhou and Ryann Furlow May 16, 2024
Senior Olivia Phillips was named the Central Times 2024 Female Athlete of the Year.
2024 Female Athlete of the Year: Liv Phillips
Jay Deegan, Print Managing Editor • May 16, 2024
Senior Maverick Ohle celebrates a defensive stop in Central’s game against Plainfield North on Sept. 1.
2024 Male Athlete of the Year: Maverick Ohle
View All
$50
$500

60 °
    60 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    71 °
    74 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    79 °
    76 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
May 18
82°/ 59°
Sunny
May 19
78°/ 61°
Patchy rain nearby
May 20
81°/ 60°

State SAT contract set to expire, leaving questions and uncertainty

The state of Illinois’ contract with the SAT is set to expire June 30, meaning a change of state-required college entrance exams may be coming for the 2024-2025 school year.

Since 2016, all Illinois high school students have been required to take the SAT (administered by the College Board) in order to graduate. For years prior to that, the ACT was the state-mandated test. With the College Board’s contract with the state set to expire in just two months, it is possible that the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) could once again award the contract to the ACT following the company’s $53 million bid. 

“It really depends on how this all works out with the College Board and the ACT,” said Steve Jeretina, Central’s Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Instruction. “The College Board has the opportunity to appeal [the ACT bid]. We’re kind of in a holding pattern until the state decides to pick a path.”

Differences in the two tests may play a role in the direction the state goes. The version of the SAT that is administered in Illinois high schools includes an essay section. This essay section is a required for admission to some colleges, namely the University of California system. While the ACT does include a writing component, it is optional and not as commonly taken as the SAT’s essay. Additionally, a science test offered by the ACT may change how Central and other high schools administer their standardized tests.

“Right now, juniors have to take the SAT and then they have to take the Illinois Science Assessment because there is no science part on the SAT,” Jeretina said. “If we go back to the ACT, do we no longer have to do the Illinois Science Assessment because ACT will include a science component? It’s one of those things that’s a wait and see for us.”

No official announcement has been made by ISBE, the College Board or the ACT so far regarding an official decision. Additionally, there is not a clear or official timeline for this decision to be made. 

“I’d like to think that by the end of May we’ll have a better idea,” Jeretina said. “It’s selfishly for planning purposes. When you take that fall PSAT test, it’s the National Merit qualifying exam as well. Part of me is of the belief that the PSAT/NMSQT would stay put for anyone who’s trying to become a National Merit qualifier. But again, we just don’t know at this point.”

This move comes amid many other changes happening in the world of standardized testing and college admissions. The SAT recently began administering an online version of the exam (taken by Central Juniors on April 10). This version of the exam is one hour shorter than previous versions, and progressively adapts to a student’s answers. Many colleges have also begun to reinstate their standardized test requirements for admission after going test-optional during the COVID-19 pandemic.