$50
$500

68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    62 °
    62 °
    61 °
    61 °
    61 °
    62 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
April 28
72°/ 62°
April 29
70°/ 53°
April 30
71°/ 47°
Sunny

Diversity and Inclusion Board created to foster ‘safe learning environment for all’

Central created a new Diversity and Inclusion Board at the start of this school year. The board represents student leaders from a number of other diversity focused clubs.

Originally known as the multicultural club, the club was rebranded this year due to decreased membership after the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Our main focus is to just make sure everyone feels like they have a space in the [school] community,” said senior Rewa Aboushaala, a member of the Diversity and Inclusion Board.

The board aims to discuss concerns about diversity, equity and inclusion. They will also build awareness and create a welcoming environment in Central through programs and events.

“We weren’t necessarily seeing equal representation in public celebrations and educational opportunities.” Principal Jackie Thornton said. “Ultimately, we hope [the Diversity and Inclusion Board] will result in a safe learning environment for all.”

Currently, the Diversity and Inclusion Board is working on  an audit that will identify problems that need to be addressed to create a more welcoming environment, such as gossiping and microaggressions.

“The Diversity and Inclusion board’s main focus should be to educate,” Aboushaala said. “It’s good to teach [students about] what’s going on and then they take it out to their friends.”

Aboushaala emphasized the importance of board members sharing the knowledge they have gained to other people in the community.

“Having student representatives is different from having a lesson plan that people might ignore and not listen to,” Aboushaala said. “It makes it more open for change; it’s a better way to take action and I have hope that it will enhance what we have already been doing.” 

As the board continues to identify problems that need solving within the community, they hope to create programs and utilize homeroom classes to educate students at Central about what they can do to help make change.