NCHS Science Olympiad places 18th out of 30 at first invitational

Jake Pfeiffer, Correspondent

Naperville Central’s Varsity Science Olympiad team placed 18th out of 30 at their first invitational, hosted virtually by Palatine High School on Nov. 20, 2021.

The team’s junior varsity members placed 26th out of a possible 30, but earned first place in the Remote Sensing event.

This event took place entirely online, with Central’s team members competing from their homes.

Science teachers Amy Hastings and Chelsea Summy have dealt with COVID-19 in all three of their years as Science Olympiad coaches. For the first time, they have a normal competition schedule this season.

“It’s a challenge in its own,” Summy said. “But it’s nice to be home.”

One such challenge emerged at this competition: getting supplies to all participants. 

“On Thursday, we were given notification that we needed to have certain materials for students in order for them to compete on Saturday,” Hastings said. “ Friday, I was here for half a day, so finding all of those things and getting them to the students was impossible.”

Central was forced to not participate in an event because of these logistical problems, but, as students participate in multiple events, all students were able to compete in at least one event.

Groups from both of Central’s teams enjoyed successes. Central placed in the top six for three events, a number that Hastings believes will only go up.

“The beginning of the year is always more difficult,” she said. “We usually start seeing better results the further we get into a season.”

To Co-Captain Nathra Ramrajvel, a senior at Central, the group nature of these events is ultimately what makes Science Olympiad enjoyable.

“It’s really fun getting to do it with another person instead of on your own,” she said. “It’s one of the most fun clubs I’ve ever been a part of.”