Senior starts petition to remove urinal splashback

Noah Rozek, Correspondent

Part of  the student body is fed up with poor potty design this year, beginning a petition for the purchase of pee-splash prevention pieces to add onto urinals.

WizKid Products

Ryan Schwartz, a senior at Naperville Central, is the creator of the jokingly named pee-tition, which aims to solve the backsplash students report  while they use the urinals at school. through the purchase of a device called the “Splash Hog”.

The urinal experience consists of “a crap ton of splashback” junior Zide Yan said.

The petition started in early September and garnered lots of traction among male students, with over 200 signatures as of  Oct. 19.

“This is something for many years I have heard people talk about,” Schwartz said. “Finally, I just decided I’d had enough and I wanted to make a difference.”

A Splash Hog serves as a replacement for a normal urinal cake with the addition of splashback prevention technology. Dually it serves the purpose of a typical urinal cake with odor prevention, and this device is not foreign to Naperville facilities.

The Splash Hog adheres to the back of the urinal and breaks apart urine streams. It then allows the streams to flow down calmly behind the device into the typical waste hole. It is specially designed to negate urine splash back onto students.

A pack of Splash Hogs can go for an average of $8 per 1 device on Amazon, whereas typical urinal cakes go for $2-$3 in the same quantity.

“Fort Hill fitness center [has] this device and it helps extremely well, so I figured why not implement this in our own school?”, Schwartz said.

After Schwartz brought his idea up to the Dean of Student Activities, Lynn Nolan, an order was placed.

“[They] will be in the high frequency bathrooms,” Schwartz said. “That’s where you want to look for them. I assume that means the main stairs, bus circle and [high traffic bathrooms] on the second and third floor.”

The purpose behind the petition was to create nicer bathrooms for everyone at the school, and Schwartz wants everyone to remember the importance of student action.

“I would like to thank everyone that supported the cause and signed the petition. It’s a movement,” Schwartz said.