Heartland Blood hosts annual blood drive

Mari Laqui, News Editor

Naperville Central partnered up with Heartland Blood Center for the 15th year to host their annual blood drive on Tuesday, Oct. 30. Central continues to conduct this blood drive to ensure that the Edward Hospital blood supply is maintained.

Heartland Blood Center recognizes the need for blood. They believe that every life is worth saving. The donation of one pint of blood per person is given to Edward Hospital and can save approximately three lives of people in need. Both staff and students were encouraged to donate.

Student Advisory Council’s adviser Megan Plackett, along with student council’s senior communicator Bridget Lienau, were in charge of organizing and coordinating the donation process.

“Student Advisory Council is in charge of a lot of the advertising that we do,” Lienau said. “A lot of us will announce it to classes, make announcements over the PA, we have handouts and we sit at lunch tables.”

Central’s staff, along with SAC, was encouraging students to donate blood by advertising the Heartland Blood Center during lunch periods. They encouraged students to sign up by giving every donor a $10 Colonial Cafe gift card and a free t-shirt. Central successfully collected 78 pints of blood.

“I respect all kids’ reactions,” Plackett said. “Everyone has a different level of comfort with the donation process,” Plackett said. “Some are regular donors. We have students who give [blood] every time they can.”

The blood drive took place in the auxiliary gym where students who had a parent permission slip to donate blood went through a screening process. Students also employees of Heartland Blood Center who checked to make sure the students were of age to give blood, in good health and met the weight requirement.

“I think it’s a very concrete way for some people to give life,” Plackett said. “Sometimes a personal story is attached that a family member or a loved one have had health issues [so] they’ve committed to helping others.”