More than just food at food truck festival

Photo by Thom Blair

Richie Holmberg, Correspondent

Country music and the smell of food float through the fall air during the third annual Western DuPage Special Recreation Association (WDRSA) Food Truck Festival on Sept. 30.  The WDSRA is an organization that provides park district programs for individuals with special needs.

The festival was initially created to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the WDSRA and thank everyone involved in the WDSRA community but it has since become an annual event hosted in downtown Naperville.

“We decided to not make it a fundraiser, which is really odd for a non-profit, because it’s hard to say thank you and give us money.” Sherry Manschot, Director of PR for the WDSRA, said,

With food options spanning from Gnarly Knots Pretzels to Tacos from Taco Grill Salsa Bar, guests had many unique dining choices. There were also family friendly activities such as blow up slides, face painting and live music.

The event opened early to allow for sensory accommodations to be made.

“Because we are organizing this event, we can make it accessible for everybody who has a disability,” Manschot said.

The festival was an opportunity for Naperville Central students to help the WDSRA. Freshman Tyler Rose volunteered at the festival with the Young Men’s Service League, a local youth service group.

“It has been cool to see families with special needs come out and have a good time,” Rose said.

The WDSRA is impressed with the outcome of this year’s festival.

“We are thrilled [with this years event] we have had a great turnout and have had a steady stream of people,” Manschot said. “One of our food trucks even sold out.”