Teachers use politics to educate students

Lexi Haskell, Editor-in-Chief

On Jan. 30, students of social studies teacher Patrick Keating entered their classroom, or at least they tried to.

The students were stopped by a podium and large sheet of paper reading, “Entrance to [Room] 213 is now restricted. Have your school ID and be prepared to answer some questions! Delays expected!”

As students formed a line to enter the classroom, Keating called those with an ID forward first. He closely examined their IDs to confirm identities and then he asked questions such as, “What is your favorite color?” and “What is your mother’s maiden name?” according to sophomore Marena Austin.

“It felt weird [to be asked those questions],” Austin said. “I was confused why he needed to know the answers.”

The people who forgot their ID’s were forced to wait outside the classroom until the bell rang.

This simulation was intended to show Keating’s government students the process of immigrant vetting. Austin said she learned from her experience.

“I understand the frustration [of immigrants],” Austin said. “I was like, ‘What’s the point of asking these random questions? … These questions don’t define me as a person.’”

This simulation came just days after President Donald Trump signed his executive order prohibiting persons from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen from entering the country.

Keating’s simulation is just one example of school curriculum reflecting current events. Jane Thompson, a history teacher, sees news permeate into her classroom, too.

“There hasn’t been a dull moment,” Thompson said. “I am not scrambling to find information [to teach].”

Government classes also see changes.

“The government curriculum is ever-evolving,” AP Government teacher Michael Bochenski said. “As laws change, as institutions change, as presidents change, so will our class.”

The Spanish curriculum at Central also can discuss politics relating to immigration. However, by contrast, the Spanish curriculum doesn’t necessarily change with current events because its curriculum, dictated by the College Board, automatically includes immigration, according to Spanish teacher Kathleen Gasser.

One of Gasser’s teaching techniques is giving students three sources on a topic and asking them a question such as, “Is it possible for Latin American immigrants to break the cycle of poverty and have a better life in the United States?”

These class discussions on immigration lead to a new question: what is a social studies teacher’s role when discussing politics in the classroom?

Many teachers at Central make an effort to discuss current events without bias, something for which Thompson advocates. For example, on Feb. 8, the Chicago Tribune ran a commentary piece asking, “Is Trump the new Teddy Roosevelt?”

Thompson saw this article as a teaching opportunity.

“We can use this without [politics],” Thompson said. “We can question it without any political persuasion.”

Thompson says she urges her students to examine statements like the Chicago Tribune’s by evaluating  history.

Thompson cautions against the fanaticism of teachers discussing politics in the classroom. While a teacher is allowed to voice his or her political opinions, many try to remain neutral.

“Thirty years of experience will allow me to sit back and have a wide view,” Thompson said. “I am neutral in the classroom because I can argue all sides.”

In her classroom, Gasser also makes an effort to expose students to multiple sides of an issue.

“My job [when teaching about immigration] is to help students form opinions,” Gasser said. “I choose different sources with different opinions [for my lessons].”

Other teachers express their political opinions in the classroom.

“When it comes to certain political actions, like banning muslims, or restricting or talking about restricting LGBT rights, I will voice my opinion because our school goal is to ensure emotional, social and physical security and safety,” Michael Wilson, social studies teacher, said.

Regardless of a teacher’s approach to politics, the topic is discussed. As the whole world navigates Trump’s presidency, so must teachers as they tackle of “necessary challenge” of politics in the classroom, according to Thompson.

Zain Habib and Jack Anderson contributed to this story.