Writer’s Block hosts annual Poetry Slam

Megan Mehta, Staff Writer

On Feb. 10., Writer’s Block hosted their annual Poetry Slam. Students met in the Little Theater to read and recite their favorite works of poetry.

“I like being involved in a club where kids are writing,” Nicole Weiss, Writer’s Block sponsor said. “I just get really excited to see what kids come up with, and in the long term, see what they do with writing.”

Not only was the Poetry Slam opened to members of Writer’s Block, students outside of the club were also encouraged to share their own work, or just to read.

The Poetry Slam featured some original works from freshman, Henry Rajan, sophomores Kaylyn Yung and Joy Chi, juniors Blake Preston, Claire Vail and Lani Frost, and seniors Maddy Sadler, Katie Beste, Sarah Beste and Sasha Fenton.

Along with those students, some poems were also submitted anonymously. For others, the Poetry Slam was a way to gain confidence from their peers.

“I have to admit, when I first joined the club I was nervous of sharing,” Claire Vail, junior, said. “There is always that fear of being judged when sharing something personal. But when I shared my work for the first time, the acceptance I felt from the other members gave me more confidence than I had before to be more open with what I share.”

There has been nothing but good things said about Writer’s Block and all they have to offer.

“I decided to join writer’s block because I love writing, I’ve been writing since I was little,” Sadler said. Of course my stories have gotten hopefully a lot better since then. A friend of mine came over to me and was like ‘hey you write, i write, come over to writer’s block’ so i came to writer’s block and I’ve never left. When you have that written page in front of you, it’s like you are giving a conversation to the world.”

There are still many other ways to participate in Writer’s Block and share written work. Writer’s Block meets every Tuesday after school in room 236.