Instructors institute new policies after cheating incident

As a result of the recent cheating scandal, many teachers have started enforcing stricter polices to prevent cheating.
Calculus and Honors Pre-calculus teachers have recently developed new policies to be implemented during tests and quizzes. Not only do these procedures help prevent cheating, but they also offer students a better understanding of the class material.
Jim Braun, AP Calculus BC and Multivariable Calculus teacher, continues to have calculator sections on his tests. To discourage cheating, he has seven forms of calculator tests and four forms of no-calculator tests.
“When I think about someone stealing the material from my test, that upsets me,” said Braun. “So now I’m going to take measures to ensure that doesn’t happen again.”
Braun’s students leave everything at the front of the room except for what they need to take the test. He also doesn’t allow bathroom breaks during tests and quizzes either.
Ed Watson, Pre-Calculus, Honors Pre-Calculus and AP Calculus AB teacher, developed a no-calculator policy on tests and quizzes. However, he does allow calculator use in class.
“My feeling is that the calculator is a tool to help us have a better understanding of mathematics, but it should not take a large role in the curriculum,” Watson said.
Elizabeth Ha, a sophomore in Watson’s Honors Pre-Calculus class, adds that “[Watson] makes the questions able to do without calculators.”
Ha doesn’t really mind Watson’s policy and agrees that it helps to prevent cheating.
Braun and Watson both agree that cheating has become a noticeable problem.
“As long as students feel the importance of a grade, there will always be cheating,” Watson said.