• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Teachers in Academic Center to help students during lunch hour

Aly Nunez, Correspondent

The Academic Center opened with the start of the school year, allowing teachers to help tutor students in their core classes. This service is available during students’ lunch hours and certain study hall periods.

“The Academic Center offers academic support opportunities for students in the areas of critical thinking, reading, writing, speaking, and listening,” said Marc O’Shea, ordinator for academic support, in an offical statement. “In conjunction with learning strategies and meta-cognitive skills, students may work with experts regarding specific content-area development.”

O’Shea created the Academic Center to encourage students to ask questions and get help from teachers. It provides a place for students and teachers to work together in a safe, quiet and productive environment based on Redhawk academic values according to the school mission statement.

“I think it’s a really nice idea. It’s really convenient for you to just go in during lunch and it’s helpful that they have a teacher from every core subject there,” senior Laura Hill said. “It’s really personal—you don’t have to go in before or after school or wait for your own teacher to be available.”

The Academic Center is open for students during their lunch period or study hall, during periods four, five and six. In addition to helping students during the school day, the Academic Center also supports after-school tutoring three days a week.

“Whether it is homework help, lesson clarification, quiz or test prep, writing for communication arts, mathematics, science or history courses – a student may work with a teacher in the specific content area,” O’Shea said.

If students are interested in receiving help, students can either walk-in during their lunch period after they have finished eating or make an appointment with one of the tutors.

“No matter if it is a two-minute quick clarification or a prolonged engagement, students can come in, meet the teachers who are staffing the center, sign-in and work together,” O’Shea said.

Teachers from communication arts, mathematics, and literacy are present daily, but science and humanities are on a rotating schedule.

The Academic Center is located in room 117, connected to the cafeteria.