High schoolers and preschoolers form a community

Polina Vyhovska, Staff Writer

Students interested in working with kids can take Early Childhood Education 1 and 2 to learn about young children and their development. The classes involve teaching preschoolers about various topics like math, art, science, reading and writing. During the first semester course, high schoolers learn about the three developmental stages kids go through. They also take quizzes and find potential activities that can be used to teach children in a fun way. Then, the future teachers learn how to create lesson plans. 

In October, the preschoolers enter the building. That’s when the high school students divide into groups of three and get to teach young children four times a month in Redhawk Preschool. It consists of 2 classrooms: A glass room that has desks and chairs for the highschoolers. And a second room that looks like part of your typical preschool, it has everything—children’s books, toys and colorful decor. 

“Redhawk Preschool is only open three days a week during the first semester, but that changes in semester two,” said Melissa Keller, Early Childhood Education teacher. 

In the winter and spring, preschoolers come in four days a week and it’s also when high schoolers get to observe more. Besides teaching, every high school student is assigned a preschooler and makes observations about their mental and physical development. All the preschoolers are 3-5 years old, potty trained and speak English.

The program started more than 15 years ago.

“I even have high schoolers signing up for this class, who tell me that they were in the Redhawk Preschool when they were younger,” Keller said.

The experience allows high schoolers to dive into the world of teaching and see children through a different lens. 

“This was my first time being a teacher,” said Julia Field, former Early Childhood Education 1 student. “Getting to see the kids learn and grow is just such an amazing experience. It makes you want to make the next lesson better and better every time for them.”

Redhawk Preschool helps the kids, teenagers and adults. Parents of the children are so pleased by the young teachers that the sign-up for the preschool fills up incredibly fast.

“I already have the list for the 2023-2024 preschool year going, and I even have some families that are on the waiting list for years 2024-2025,” Keller said. “A lot of families loved what we did with their first couple kids so much that they bring their next ones too.”

Social Studies teacher Michael Stock, whose daughter just started her second year at Redhawk Preschool, shared his experience as a parent.

“Redhawk Preschool is done in a way so that my daughter doesn’t even know she’s learning, she thinks she’s playing,” Stock said. “I can see clear signs of her developing mentally, and as a parent, that makes me very happy.”