• DONATE BLOOD on Oct. 30

• NHS meeting for prospective members on Thursday room 313

• Join Esperanto Club! we meet in room 108 every Monday after school.

• Chess season begins Oct. 23. Student Activities now hosting team placement matches.

Summer festivals

Photo source: Global News

Photo source: Global News

Photo source: Global News

Megan Troke, Editorial Editor, Sports Columnist

Scrolling through Twitter timelines, clicking through Instagram stories, going through any form of social media on March 20, 2018, a common thread in posts was likely found.

This date usually was characterized by frantic texts, emails and calls to parents or perhaps begging teachers to use phones or chromebooks in class in order to accomplish the mission at hand.

But this year, senior Grace Vanmeter noticed, it was a lot less stressful and the frenzy accompanying Lollapalooza tickets going on sale was not there.

“The first time I got tickets for Lolla was my sophomore year and it used to be very difficult to get them and I remember people in class with their laptops open but this year it was really easy and they didn’t sell out for a few days when last year they sold out in minutes,” Vanmeter said.

The Chicago Tribune reported that after five days, four day passes were still available for sale. Last year’s Lollapalooza tickets sold out in less than three hours.

Concerns about higher prices, less impressive headliners and security were some of the reasons concert industry executives and personnel interviewed cited for slower ticket sales.

In the investigation that followed Stephen Paddock’s mass murder of 58 people and himself at Route 91 Harvest music festival on Oct. 5, 2017, it was revealed that he had been planning to stay in a hotel overlooking Lollapalooza the dates of the festival. This information has caused some people to not return to the festival, the Chicago Tribune reported.

For those set off of Lollapalooza but still looking to attend a music festival Chicago has other options.

“I’ve gone to North Coast which was very very different than Lollapalooza,” Vanmeter said. “It’s a lot less about being in a mosh pit and more spacious. Also it’s a lot dirtier, and not as nice or large.”

North Coast has benefits like being less expensive and features more EDM artists, but out of the two Chicago based music festivals Vanmeter prefers Lollapalooza.

Once the week of Lollapalooza arrives, senior Sophie Michael is in full planning mode. Groups have to be coordinated and travel plans have to be set. Most importantly, outfits have to be bought. She doesn’t recommend waiting until the week of to go shopping.

“It’s so stressful,” Michael said. “You want to look cute but also be ok with the clothes getting destroyed by dirt and stuff.”

Not everybody is so concerned with planning ahead. Junior Payton Nesci bought his Lollapalooza pass the day before he went and decided to go with the flow once he got there.

“Have as much fun as you can even if you don’t feel very good on that day, it’s like you spent a lot of money so go make the most of it,” Nesci said.

Michael also looks forward to having a good time at Lollapalooza., Iit’s about the overall experience for her.

“It’s fun to see a ton of different artists at one time because while I usually don’t know a lot of the artists who I’m seeing at Lolla I like being exposed to a ton of different music and being able to spend time with my friends and seeing the artists that [I] like to see and being surrounded by other people who are there to have fun,” Michael said.

Festivals offer a unique experience, much different to that of concerts. When Michaelshe saw D.R.A.M. at Lollapalooza she really enjoyed his set despite not knowing many of his songs.

“I saw D.R.A.M. again a year later in a different setting and it was completely different, I didn’t enjoy it half as much,” Michael said. “The setting of Lolla made it so much better and such a more positive environment.”

Despite this, she prefers concerts over festivals. There are a lot of variables that go into festivals that can make or break the experience. Michael has also only been to Lollapalooza twice which is miniscule compared to the dozens of concerts she has attended.

“Concerts are more about the music, especially depending on the artist, you can focus on and appreciate the music more,” Michael said.

For Nesci, festivals like Lollapalooza offer a greater value than a concert.

“I’ve never been to a concert before but a festival is multiple concerts, so definitely a festival,” Nesci said.

No matter what kind of music experience is prefered, Chicago’s cultural scene is likely to provide something for everybody. Even if it’s not Lollapalooza, seize the day this summer and enjoy the proximity to all the city has to offer.