• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Athletes have the right to make their own choices

CT asks: Should high school athletes be drug tested and should performance enhancing drugs be accepted in all sports?

Matt Gazall, Co-Business Manager

A typical drug panel tests for marijuana, amphetamines, opiates, cocaine and PCP, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. However, these are not the only drug tests being conducted on high school student athletes across the U.S.

Performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) are not just a concern among professional athletes nowadays; many teenagers and young adults make the decision to put their health on the line to achieve their athletic goals by using some type of performance enhancing drug, whether it be something such as an anabolic steroid or a natural, safer supplement such as creatine.

Most of us are educated enough to know the effects of drugs such as anabolic steroids, or the more popular human growth hormone, and many know that there are substantial risks involved in taking drugs such as these.

Those who do decide to take on the potential risks involved when using synthetic hormones to potentially aid athletic performance, do so to achieve goals they believe outweigh the risks.

Athletes should have the same freedom when it comes to taking risks regarding their personal health as anyone else. In particular, if an athlete prefers the possible gains in performance that are claimed to be attained by the use of performance enhancing drugs such as anabolic steroids, along with the health risks that come as a side effect, to the alternative of less risk and poor athletic performance, who has the right to interfere with that choice?

We can’t forbid smokers from risking their health by smoking, so why should we forbid athletes from taking risks with their own health in pursuit of their goals?

I’m in no way condoning the use of PEDs for potentially superior athletic performance and believe athletes at the high school level should be tested for drugs such as marijuana, amphetamines, cocaine and PCP. However, when it comes down to the use of PEDs and certain supplements, it would be a complete waste of time and money. While a general drug test is fairly cheap, steroid testing cost quite a bit more.

A basic urinalysis test cost on average $200 per test and when you administer this test to an entire team, especially multiple times per year, the amounts spent can get very high. Athletes who decide to use various supplements (and sometimes PEDs) are taking a risk that is their own personal choice. Many believe that this creates an unfair advantage, and some will argue that this is a form of cheating.

If taking PEDs or supplements that supposedly offer superior athletic performance is cheating, then working hard, dieting and having excellent genetics is also cheating.

It is not the drugs that make an athlete a champion, it is the hard work, commitment, passion and talent, something that is commonly misinterpreted.