Coffee House Recap

Freja Sonnichsen, Staff Photographer

Uniformed students with black “Tech Crew” shirts are carrying stage pieces towards the Naperville Central cafeteria, one at a time, assembling tonight’s stage. Helpers are on their knees taping down wires from the newly set up lights to the sound system. Carpets are placed in front of the stage by some of the performers themselves and pillows and blankets are thrown on top, giving a final touch for a homey setting. Everything and everyone is ready for tonight’s show, including the performers.

“I’m a little nervous since I have only done musicals, and never sung on a stage alone,” said junior Blake Wilcox who performed “Amnesia” by 5 Seconds of Summer with her best friend, sophomore Dana Williams.

“It’s actually a funny story,” Williams said. “We were at the One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer concert this August, and we still hadn’t decided on what we wanted to do for Coffee House. In the one hour break between 5SOS and 1D we both kind of looked at each other and thought, ‘What if we sang Amnesia?’, and then it was decided.”

Though anxious, both Williams and Wilcox are looking forward to the performance.

“This is a big deal for us,” Williams said. “Before we go onstage tonight I think we will look at each other and go ‘Ahhh!’, and then just go for it.”

As time flies by, chairs are seated, lights are dimmed and the show opens with sophomore Emily Ware singing “I Will Always Love you” by Whitney Houston on the piano. Freshman Sammy Cone, who performed “Skinny Love” by Birdy, admires the performers while Arina Vaslyayevp, a Russian exchange student, sings her debut in her mother language,

“It’s definitely intimidating watching the performers, so I’m more nervous now than I was before,” Cone said. “However, I’m really looking forward to my friend Maggie Galo performing tonight because she is much better than she knows, and the crowd will love her.”

Performer after performer, the crowd is spellbound by the students’ variety of talents. In the audience, there are students cheering for their friends and both teachers and parents supporting and applauding the performers.

Danielle Jones is very excited for her daughter, Ashley Jones, who is singing “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King.

“I think I’m more nervous than she is!” D. Jones said. “Coffee House is always a good show, we usually go every year. It’s great to follow the freshmen until they turn seniors, it just never gets old. Personally, I like to see some of the contemporary or hear some of the traditional songs, but the show always gives a good variety, which is good since it’s for all ages.”

The atmosphere is relaxed and laid back throughout the show, and everybody seems to be enjoying themselves, whether it’s at the cookie bar, at a table or sitting on the carpets in front of the stage.

“I have never been to Coffee House before, so I didn’t know what to expect,” said sophomore Olivia Rydholm, who came to see both her friends and her exchange sister Vaslyayevp sing. “I actually really like it though. I’m so happy I came, I’m pretty sure I will come next year too,”

The night concludes with a dance from the Theatre Central senior girls. This is the first of many shows put on by Theatre Central during the 2014-2015 school year. The next show, “Plaza Suite”, a three act comedy, will be coming up this fall.