Teens should take advantage of American Dream

Sharon Pan, Online Managing Editor

First world problems. How many times have we heard a friend sarcastically sneer that someone for complaining about their drained phones? How many times have we been jealous over a new accessory or car that we’ve wanted?

How many times have we ignored everything we have in our lives, only to find ourselves ungrateful and wanting more?

James Truslow stated in 1931 that the American Dream is “the dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.”

In Naperville, we have so much. IPhones, cars, a newly constructed school. We practically have the American Dream sitting in our laps. A white picket fence is not our exact definition of this Dream, but as teenagers, we often lose the simplicity and gratefulness we should possess for the opportunities we have.

A few summers after the earthquake struck Sichuan, China, I traveled there for a teenage summer program. Walking by split, concrete bridges and tumbled-over houses, I saw the destruction and the shock on everyone’s faces.

Already shaken from visiting the ruins, we traveled to a junior high school that was destroyed during the earthquake and just finished its reconstruction. I remember vividly sitting down with one girl, who was the same age as we and spoke about her heartbrokenness of witnessing her old school being destroyed in the disaster and her excitement to enter into her newly reconstructed school. Even though this new school had muddy surroundings and broken doors, she spoke about this new dream school with light in her eyes. She spoke of her future dreams to graduate from high school and possibly move herself out of her small town.

While this girl, who had lost everything, still has the drive and optimism to overcome all adversities, so many privileged teenagers in our society lack this mindset. Possibly because they never experienced such trauma.

When I reflect on that moment I talked with the Chinese girl, I realize how blessed Napervilians are, who have the opportunities, resources to succeed and reach their own American Dreams. Although the American Dream has transformed from including a picket white fence around a cute family house, we were blessed to be born in safe town with a great school.

In a first world country, in a rich town, we should be doing more than complaining about not having Netflix or not having the right dress for a party. The fact we have any opportunities to graduate school and go to college and/or get a job, why don’t we do more work with it? I’m sure the young girl I met would be looking for every chance to thank whoever helped her have this life and take every opportunity to use what she has.

If you want to have the next current accessory, it’s not selfish to want it. Don’t complain about not having it. Find a job, get some money, and buy it yourself. Be grateful you have this chance.

If we are lucky to be in a land where life is “better and richer and fuller for everyone,” let’s not be shallow and complain about little problems. I’m not saying we have perfect lives. Let’s just look at our lives as a blessing and work even harder to take advantage of our opportunities.