• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Writers of cheating story clarify any misconceptions of BYOD program

Central Times Managing Editor Anya Marchenko (left) and Durva Trivedi (right), Editorial and Copy Editor

Taryen Belasich

Taryen Belasich

Anya Marchenko and Durva Trivedi

Dear readers of the Central Times and our website:

The stories the Central Times published about the recent cheating incident are spreading like wildfire through local media. Our newspaper is being mentioned in news broadcasts everywhere from NBC 5 Chicago to the Chicago Sun Times and Chicago Tribune. We, Anya Marchenko and Durva Trivedi, the original writers of the article, understand that most news sources have not been able to secure interviews with key figures in the cheating incident, and a lot of them simply refer to the CT article for their background information.

However, due to this game of journalistic telephone, some facts have been distorted. Multiple news stations and newspapers have assumed that the cheating occurred with the assistance of the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. This is simply incorrect. The cheating incident merely occurred in a class that happened to be piloting the BYOD program.

Every teacher that we know who pilots the BYOD program does not allow students to utilize their phones during a test. Moreover, to our knowledge, the students who were cheating did so even in classes that did not pilot the BYOD program. We do not wish for professional media to misrepresent the program because of a quote we decided to use in the story.

We are also concerned that Humanities teacher Eleanor Barbino’s quote is being misrepresented. For that, we apologize to Mrs. Barbino and any teachers who feel that their BYOD program is being portrayed negatively and unfairly.

We would also like to thank Central’s administration for being extremely helpful and cooperative in regards to this incident. We, as journalists, are obligated to report the truth. Your cooperation has made that significantly easier and more accurate.

Sincerely,

Anya Marchenko, Managing Editor and Durva Trivedi, Editorial/Copy Editor