District 203 a safe place, administrators say

Julie Park, Profile Editor, Communications Manager

Responding to President Donald Trump’s travel ban, several students voiced their initial concerns. The executive order bans entry of individuals from seven predominantly Muslim nations into the U.S., causing mainly Muslim students to face potential worry and aggravation for themselves as well as their families.

In an effort to appease student fears, staff members of the district are putting forth their best efforts to maintain a sense of safety in 203 schools.

In an email interview with Superintendent Dan Bridges, the Central Times learned that the district does not keep statistics on minorities residing in the community on a visa and is not required to supply information on the immigration status of any students sought by government agencies.

Bridges remains confident in the safety of District 203 schools.

“Students in Naperville 203 feel safe in schools,” Bridges said. “The data from the 5 Essentials Survey tells us this, as well as our interactions on a daily basis with our students.”

Though the district has received concerns from community members about potential harmful treatment that students may experience, none appear to be urgent.

“[The community members] were expressing a personal point of view rather than any call for action,” Bridges said.

Central Principal Bill Wiesbrook reached out proactively to the faculty sponsors of the Muslim Student Association (MSA), asking if anything had been brought to their attention by Muslim students in the building.

“What I heard back from one of [the sponsors of MSA] was that the Muslim students addressed the issue and were not feeling too great about [the executive order] but were not sharing that there are significant issues,” Wiesbrook said. “With the situation regarding the executive order, this has caused me to send that email and say, ‘Hey, even though nobody has told me I’ll do a little checking to see is there anything that I should know about to help students feel safe.’”

As a member of MSA, sophomore Samreen Hussain disagrees with the presidential ban.

“Muslim extremists don’t come even from any of the those [seven] countries,” Hussain said. “I don’t get the point of banning them, and it’s creating more conflicts. I have mixed feelings about it.”

Still, she is thankful that she has not received any personal threats from the Central community, though she wishes for more cultural awareness to minimize the stigma surrounding the Muslim religion.

Aside from addressing the organization, Wiesbrook claims that there have not been any calls or emails from concerned parents to the school.

“Now, it’s possible that there is a student at Naperville Central right now who doesn’t feel safe, who may feel harassed, but we don’t know about it,” Wiesbrook said. “It’s very hard for me to say that all of our students feel safe and secure, but when something comes to our attention we will do what we can to help.”

Alana Cervera contributed to this story.