Latest mobile addiction: Trivia Crack

Sharon Pan, Online Managing Editor

The new Candy Crush is here: Trivia Crack, a smartphone game app, has skyrocketed to the top of the charts, holding the number one spot for over a month on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

trivia-crack
Photo source: mobiledevmemo.com

In this popular game, players can verse Facebook friends or random opponents by spinning a wheel and landing on a character: either history, art, geography, sports or entertainment. Players must answer a trivia question in that category in 25 seconds or they lose the turn. Whichever player correctly answers enough questions in each category first, wins.

“They call it Trivia Crack because it is very addicting,” Social Science teacher David Ashton said. “I’m pretty busy, but I play  every two to three days. [I usually play against] AP Econ students and assistant coaches in Cross Country, and I’ve beaten [Mike] Albiniak.”

Sophomore Zoë Comerford also plays Trivia Crack often.

“I play the game a lot when I should be doing homework,” Comerford said with a laugh. “If I lose all my lives, I wait until I get one back and play again.”

Addiction and popularity to Trivia Crack can be attributed to the game’s balance between being challenging and simple, said Marcos Sanchez, vice president at analytics firm App Annie,  to Business Week.

Another aspect of the game is that if a player does not reply in two days, the win goes to the opponent, a clear push for users to play frequently.

Comerford sees positives in playing this game, however.

“I like the game because I like how I get to test what I know on the spot,” Comerford said. “If a question about the president comes up, you just have to know the information. Sometimes it helps with my knowledge of history and sports.”

Although Trivia Crack’s popularity grew last December in the U.S., the game, which was founded in 2009, was number one in more than 20 countries before America. Rated 4.5 stars out of five on the App stores, “Etermax” who is the seller of the app, has truly launched great success with this app.