Mr. NCHS: Old traditions, new talent

My freshman year I bought Mr. NCHS tickets on the last day they were available, during sixth period lunch. It was completely on a whim, my friend and I were heading to the library when we happened to stop by the table at the front of the cafeteria. The last minute tickets had us sitting all the way in the back– probably the second-to-last row. I knew one of the contestants, but that was by name only.

Sophomore year, my friend bought tickets for me during fourth period. It was planned out a little bit better, but our seats were still far back because we had to wait until the third day. Last year I knew maybe three or four of the guys, none of them well. But my standards were still set high from the previous show.

For the past two years, despite the inconveniences of purchasing tickets and my obliviousness to who the contestants were, I still had an amazing time.

To me, the annual show is one of the best events hosted by our school. Every year (or at least what I can infer from the years I’ve been and what I’ve heard from my sisters) has been outrageous– the guys go all out and the auditorium is packed.

Mr. NCHS isn’t one of those shows that depend on who you go with or your spot in the auditorium. Unless the person next to you is obnoxiously narrating the entire thing, Mr. NCHS is fun because the guys are funny, and the show is entertaining.

Honestly, I’m so glad Mr. NCHS isn’t one of those school events that flopped—the ones that nobody attends because no one has since the beginning, and that are always poorly funded, decorated and announced. Mr. NCHS could be a totally different story if it had been started differently.

One of the things that makes Mr. NCHS so much fun is the fact that the contestants go all out. Some of the most entertaining senior guys audition, and the fact that they don’t hold back in their performances makes it funnier. If Mr. NCHS was filled with mediocre guys who half-heartedly ran through the motions on stage, the show would be so awkward.

And similarly, if it had been started with females up on stage, the show would be completely different.

If you’ve ever seen Mr. NCHS before, you’ve probably seen some moderate stripping. There’s always been at least one talent act involving ripping pants off or dramatically removing shirts. I’ve seen a contestant take off at least some piece of clothing in both shows I’ve been to, and I’ll admit, it’s funny. The way they perform makes it light-hearted and entertaining, not too over-the-top.

Girls would most likely act completely different on stage, and the show would be viewed in a different light simply because of the stigmas of the genders.

Overall, I’m glad Mr. NCHS is the way it is. I’m sure there are things that could be done to improve it, but it’s pretty great the way it’s run now. There are a million minor ways it could be different (for the better or for the worse), but they would change the show entirely, and I’m not sure if I’d like that.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a shy underclassman who had to ask what Mr. NCHS even was when you heard the announcement or if you’re a senior that really hates everyone in your grade—go. You have my blessing. I’ve seen only hilarious, happy-go-lucky shows since freshman year, and I have a feeling this year will be a great show too, considering the contestants.