Mike Haverty inducted to athletic hall of fame

D'Niya Little-Segers

8: Mike Haverty holds his Athletic Hall of Fame plaque after receiving it on Feb. 3. The lighting in this shot created a powerful dynamic where the figures stand out dramatically, even in the middle of a crowded gym at halftime of a crosstown basketball match.

Sarah Segvich, Staff Writer

Q: How do you feel about being inducted into the athletics hall of fame?

A: Very appreciative because you can’t accomplish anything without the help of your teachers and coaches guiding you. Today showed how many great examples of leaders there are here at Central. 

Q: Were there any lessons you learned from your career that you’d like to share with students today?

A: The most successful business people are those who work as a team. I most often see that the people who succeed are the people who are able to take B level people and turn them into A level people. Often the people who are able to do that are the ones who were athletes. 

Q: What was the highlight of your experience at Central or what are you most proud of?

A:  I remember when I was pitching in the game of my life. I got into the 6th inning and was so emotionally drained that I couldn’t throw a strike. However, the coach talked to me, distracted me, and got me through it. 

Q: What message or advice do you have for our current students?

A: It’s ok to fail. Three, five years down the read you would be shocked to see how that failure has helped you grow. 

Q: Anything you would like to add?

A: Be humbled or get humbled.