New staff member profile: Rebecca Moss

Rebecca+Moss

Courtesy of HawkTV

Rebecca Moss

Selah Lee, Staff Writer

What is your name?

Rebecca Moss.

What is your job title?

Student Advocacy Specialist.

What exactly is that position?

It is a newly created position in the district. [There are] two of us here at Naperville Central, and then the other two are at Naperville North. We focus on being an extra layer of support. We focus more on those tier three strategies and how to implement restorative practices in the classroom setting and into the community. That looks different for a lot of people. But we really work to build students’ capacity to increase their skills in the five SEL components: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.

What’s your passion here at Central?

I would say, people. I love helping people. My passion is ensuring [that]people feel like they’re valued. Again, that may look different for each individual. But my passion is rooted in making sure that people feel valued and connected.

What does your day-to-day life look like at Central?

I start off with my cup of coffee because that’s important. We progress monitor every two weeks and we look at students’ grades, attendance, and tardies. From there if we do identify somebody as struggling in one of those categories, that’s where we step in and we have those conversations. ‘What’s going on?’ ‘How can we further help you?’ The day-to-day fluctuates. Sometimes we’ll be in a responsive mode where we need to facilitate a restorative circle for students or we have to do check-ins. 

What did you do before coming to Central?

I actually student taught here at Central in 2016. And when I left I went to Calumet City at Thornton Fractional North High School, and I was a special ed teacher for two years. And then I was the department chair of Special Education for my last three years.

What do you hope to accomplish in the coming years?

I want to see how this role comes to life. I want to see the benefits that the job has for our student body, especially supporting students who might not necessarily know how to use their voices. Being their advocate, and making sure that they are having a successful high school experience, as well as making sure that they feel connected to their school community.

What are your hobbies and interests outside of school?

Ball is life. I played basketball in college. I love watching it. So I would definitely say playing basketball. I’m coming back from an injury now, so I’m waiting to have my debut game. But I enjoy watching basketball and just spending time with my family.  I’m very family oriented and I love spending time with my daughter. She’s one year old. She’s getting into everything, but I just love family. I like community. That’s what I thrive off of.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in or would like to be involved in?

I’m not involved in any right now. But wherever I fit in is where I want to try to get in. I have an interest in activities, sports, and basketball, so however I can better serve the students is where I definitely want to be involved.