Central welcomes new staff members for 22-23 school year

Emily Chalut

Courtesy of HawkTV

Emily Chalut

Nolan Shen, Staff Writer

Q: What is your name?

A: Emily Chalut

Q: What is your position here at Central?

A: French Teacher

Q: What is your background, whether that’s education or past experience?

A: I went to Miami University in Ohio for my undergrad, and I studied French. I was a flight attendant for seven years, and [for] part of that time [I] was based in Paris. Then I got my masters at DePaul, and I taught for some time on the North Side [of Chicago], but then I moved to Michigan. I taught French at a high school and middle school outside Kalamazoo, Michigan. I lived in Michigan for several years, [and I] just moved here. 

Q: What was it like being a flight attendant and living in Paris for that time? 

A: It was a good opportunity. [Being a flight attendant] is based on your seniority, and after 9/11, a lot of people didn’t want to fly. I didn’t have a family at that time, so I was able to go [to Paris, since there were openings there]. When a lot of people came back, they kicked me out [since I had less experience] and I came right back to Chicago. So that was a good experience, improving my French, and meeting different people. 

Q: What are you involved in outside of teaching? Do you have any hobbies?

A: I’ve run some marathons, but it’s been a while. I play the Irish fiddle, but I’m very bad at reading music. It’s a great lifelong skill if you can always play. I like to play golf, and I like to ski. I was able to do a lot more skiing [in Michigan], but it’s a little bit harder here. 

Q: Do you work with any extracurricular activities or clubs here at Central?

A: Not yet. I’m only part time right now, and I have 2 kids, so I’ve been kind of busy with them.

Q: Are there any you’d like to get involved in? 

A: I’d be interested in doing something in the future, but I haven’t quite figured that out yet.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

A: No, I’m just super excited to be here and I love the students here. They’re definitely the most accomplished and motivated students I’ve ever worked with. It’s been great. They’re always blowing my mind.