Central welcomes new staff members for 22-23 school year

Christian Pilapel

Courtesy of HawkTV

Christian Pilapel

Polina Vyhovska, Staff Writer

Q: So what is your position here at Central? 

A: I teach health and PE. I am primarily going to be a health teacher. 

Q: Why did you choose central? 

A: I am one of the “boomerang” staff members. I started out here as a Dean’s assistant about six years ago, and I always wanted to come back. So when the opportunity came, I reached out to our department chair and was able to come back and make it a home.

Q: Is there a reason why you chose PE?

A: I’ve always been interested in PE – that’s what kept me in education as a young person in high school. And then it became a way that I can continue to connect with students, and I feel like I do what I do really well. And I love the topics of health that we cover.

Q: So what are your favorite things about the subject you teach? 

A: I love the topic of mental health, it’s a big issue right now. You have to find a good way to address it too. When it comes to PE again just really challenging the athletes and non athletes in being able to stay active. 

Q: Do you have a teaching philosophy?

A: My general philosophy is every day we come in to find a way to challenge yourself to grow. Everybody’s valued in my book, and I love that that’s actually a really big part of this school. We want people to feel included, and we want people to be valued. 

Q: Are you involved with any activities outside of school? 

A: Yes. I used to coach here, but right now I coach at other schools – primarily soccer and lacrosse. I’m hoping to get right back on the horse when it comes to the girls lacrosse program. 

Q: Do you have any hobbies outside of school? 

A: I love being active – I enjoy playing ultimate frisbee. I like to travel. I’m very artistic – pick an instrument, I probably play it.