Naperville Central welcomes new staff members for the 2019-2020 school year

New staff member Nolan Moss shares his passion for teaching and animals with the Central Times

Paula Recio, Staff Writer

Q: What classes do you teach, and what department are they in?

A: I teach in the Career and Technical Education Department. This school year, I teach Animal Science 1 and 2, Veterinary Science, Horticulture, Floral Design 1 and 2, and Greenhouse Crop Production. 

Q: What’s your educational background? What college did you go to?

A: I went to Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. I graduated college in May and then started teaching here this month. I actually student taught here with Mr. Gregg last semester, who was the former Animal and Plant Sciences teacher here. Mr. Gregg moved on to graduate school and then I took his place after I finished student teaching under him.

Q: What were some previous jobs you had before you came to Central? 

A: I worked all throughout college and everything. I worked as a tutor as at an elementary school. I worked as a resident assistant in the residence halls on campus for two years. I worked as a group leader my freshman year of college. I was also a waiter and a host at two different restaurants all throughout college. 

Q: What are some hobbies or interesting things you like to do outside of school? 

A: I really enjoy spending time with my friends and family, working out, playing video games, all the typical stuff. I like working out but I am not athletic enough or coordinated enough to play. 

Q: Why did you become a teacher? Was that your original plan coming into college? Or did it shift?

A: Ever since I was little, probably around the age of 10,  I kind of knew I wanted to be a teacher, I just didn’t know what kind of teacher. Then, when I got to high school, I started taking agriculture classes, and I really, really love the animal science stuff and the plant science stuff. So, that carried to college with me, and that’s why I decided to study it in college.

Q: What is your teaching philosophy, or what are some things that students should expect from you?

A: I’m a very, very big proponent of respect and equity among all of my students in my class. I really believe that regardless of where you’re coming from, what your background is, your economic status, religion, sex, orientation, creed, whatever that may be, everyone is welcome, and everyone has a voice in my class. Everyone, in some way, shape, form, or fashion is related and involved in the agriculture industry. We all eat every day, and so everyone has a voice and everyone has a responsibility to it, and everyone has an opportunity to learn and grow my classroom. I maintain a respectful environment that allows students to respect each other, themselves, and the animals and plants in the environment around them.