Central Retirees: Galanis

Prem Chandrasekar, Staff Writer

Q: How long have you been teaching at Central?

A: 31 years.

Q: What classes have you taught?

A: I have taught Ancient/Medieval History, AP European History, Modern History, Golden Age in the Mediterranean.

Q: What was your favorite class to teach? Why?

A: I truly had a passion to teach each and everyone, but if I were to choose just one, it would be The Golden Age of the Mediterranean class because it was a very popular elective, and I was able to create the curriculum for the class by myself. I was able to take the Ancient Roman world and the Ancient Greek world and spend a lot of time and effort going into great detail.

Q: Can you describe what it’s like been like teaching at Central?

A: I’ve seen a lot of changes. It’s been overall a great experience. I would not change a thing. The new building is wonderful, coming from how the building was at one time.

Q: What has this school done for you?

A: When I first came, I was a very young teacher, just over four years of experience, so the school helped me grow, both as a person and as a teacher. I was able to take my passion and have it refined by some wonderful instructional coordinators and also colleagues that I’ve worked with. It has given me a lot of pride and a lot of great students over the years that I had the privilege of teaching, and some great memories to leave with.

Q: What’s your favorite memory?

A: I think my favorite memory was in 2002 when National Geographic came to Central and spent three days with us. “The Mummy Roadshow” was a show on National Geographic, and they made arrangements with us to come to Central. It was great, as they were able to give us information that we never would have access to if they didn’t come. They were able to investigate and finally tell us that the mummy [in the Humanities office] was a girl. I was able to have about 15 students along with Mr. Henneberry come in and do a lot of work with the doctors as they were authenticating the mummy and as they were pulling the tooth. We were able to tell what period she lived in and how she died.

Q: What are your future plans after retiring?

A: I’d like to do a bit more traveling. I’ve been to a lot more European cities than I have U.S. cities. I’d also like to try to see as many Major League ballparks as I can. I’m a big baseball fan and a huge Cubs fan.

Q: What are you going to miss most about teaching at Central?

A: I think I’m going to miss the kids the most because it’s not only teaching with a passion, but it’s also having them appreciate what you do and how you do it. I have a favorite quote from Aristotle which is, educating the mind without educating the heart is not an education at all.