Central hosts debate viewing, invites congressman

Lexi Haskell, Editor-in-Chief

The second presidential debate took place at Washington University on Oct. 9, with Central students and community members viewing the event in Central’s Little Theatre. In addition to the debate, Illinois Congressman Bill Foster stopped by to speak to attendees.

The idea for this event came from social studies teacher Donna Mohn.

“The easiest answer [to why we scheduled this event] is why not?” Mohn said. “I had a chance to. I hear a lot of people talking about and my boss asked and I said why not? Even if it was just me sitting here. This is about community. Regardless of who wins, we are all citizens of the United States and we are a community.”

Freshman Ryan Belanger attended the debate viewing.

“[This is the future] and the future is important because [the U.S.] will be my country in the future,” Belanger said.

As for the debate, Belanger came in unsure of who he supports, but said he has been influenced.

Foster hoped this would happen.

“I want them to debate entirely about the issues,” Foster said. “There are huge and important issues right now. If we could spend an hour and a half discussing nothing but issues, I would be delighted.

Belanger said that although insults were still tossed around, he was glad to see both candidates talking about their own policies.

The next debate will be on Wednesday, Oct. 19. Mohn is unsure if she will host another viewing party because the debate will be on a school night.