Fantastic future for freshmen boys’ swimming

The freshman boys’ swimming team took first at the Hinsdale Central Invite on Jan. 5, beating out some of the top competition in the state such as New Trier and Barrington.
“All of the best freshman went, to and we had some relays that placed well and individual swims that won their events,” said freshman Scott Piper.
The swim team made a big statement for the future of their program after winning this invite.
“[This meet shows the] state’s top contenders for the future, in the next two, three or four years,” said assistant swim coach Chris Hagenbaumer. “If they continue working, then their outlook at the end of the three to four years can be amazing.”
Head swim coach Mike Adams doesn’t want the team to get too excited about the win.
“I’m not going to be here predicting that we are going to do this or that,” said Adams. “Putting pressure is the worst thing you can do.”
Adams says that the only way the team will reach their potential is through their work during the off-season.
“If they can come in, in-shape, ready to go, then all things are possible,” Adams said.
Luckily for Adams, his swimmers are putting in work during the off-season.
“Most of us are on the Mavericks team and that’s a year round swim program,” Piper said
Work during the season will also improve the team.
“We’re just going to keep pushing ourselves harder in practice,” said freshman Ryan Lehane.
Some freshman are moving on to compete for the varsity team after their season.
“[Among the freshman] me, Nick Walker, and Eric Gerlach are on the sectionals team,” Piper said.
The team needs to continue to work hard in order to reach their goal to become state champions in the future.
“In our state right now the competition is unbelievable at all levels,” said Adams. “We really need to giddy up and go, even in the off-season.”