Central rallies behind alumnus with rare cancer

Photo courtesy of Justin Wegner

Central cheerleaders and rowdies pose for a photo at the #JWegStrong purple out football game on Sept. 23. “The kindness and genuine love for me that has been shown by so many people from the football team, the golf team, the cheerleaders, the student section, and a lot of the faculty has just been amazing and something that I will never forget and always hold dear to my heart,” Justin Wegner said.

Lexi Haskell, Editor-in-Chief

“When bad things happen to good people, good things can happen.”

These are the words of Ray Kinney, an organizer of the #JWegStrong organization which is set up to support the family of Central alumnus Justin Weger who is currently suffering from sarcoma soft cell cancer.

A 2015 graduate, Wegner was an avid baseball and football player at Central and he eventually went on to play baseball at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. In the summer of 2016, however, what was first thought of a stomach ache became a nightmare when cancer was discovered.

“It was a shock to all of us because he is healthy otherwise and [Wegner is] a successful athlete,” Kinney said.

Early on in the treatment, many reached a realization that the cost of treatment and food would be enormous. As a result of these costs, Kinney, along with other people close to the Wegner family, established #JWegStrong, which has raised $40,000 since its creation.

In addition to the bank, Kinney also established a Facebook page in order to share memories, reach out and let Wegner know that people are thinking of him.

Funds for Wegner have been raised by private donation as well as fundraisers. In August, Tom Clifford, who runs the Aurora Sports Dome, hosted an event. Throughout the entire event, rain poured, yet friends, family, former teachers and coaches still showed up, raising $24,000.

“Seeing people come back from colleges, new friends and old friends, and even teachers and coaches supporting [Wegner] was pretty awesome,” senior Kelsey Park said. “Everyone was having a great time even though it wasn’t the best weather. And even people who didn’t know [Wegner] came to support which was really awesome.”

Kinney is proud of the turn out to this event as well as the support Wegner has received from the Central community.

Another event to raise money for Justin’s family was the golf match on Sept. 19. Central and North together raised $5,000.

“[North golfer] Nick Sullivan went around and got donations for every par, birdie and eagle,” Barry Baldwin, varsity golf coach, said. “He ended up with $1,500 in four days for someone he didn’t know.”

This money was in addition to the previous $5,000. Sullivan approached Baldwin privately to give him the money, which Baldwin said moved him profoundly.

At Central, the J. Kyle Braid foundation [JKB], a group of athletes chosen for their academics and character, has shown support for Wegner. Baldwin is an adviser to this organization.

“The best thing about [Wegner] is that he always [thinks] of others,” Baldwin said. “[He] asked JKB to do something for the Ronald McDonald House, [rather than himself]. It’s always about other people, not just Justin.”

The Ronald McDonald House provides a home to families of those with serious illnesses so that the families can be close by in their loved one’s time of need. The Wegners are currently staying there to be close to their son.

In September, JKB sold purple t-shirts to support the Ronald McDonald House and in the future, they plan to hold a gift card fundraiser.

“You realize the community you live in when things are bad,” Baldwin said. “When tragedy or illness or the passing of a loved one [occurs], you really see how Central comes together. We have differences, but we have one thing in common: We are Redhawks.”

As for Wegner, this experience has been nothing short of life changing.

“[#JWegStrong] has definitely made me a lot more thankful for things in my life such as my faith, family and friends,” Wegner said. “It’s definitely changed me for the better. I am extremely grateful for how much the Naperville community, especially Naperville Central, has done for me.”