Teacher couples: Math teacher Edgar Watson and Spanish teacher Barbara Watson

Although math teacher Edgar Watson and Spanish teacher Barbara Watson are Redhawks at heart, their relationship began as Redbirds at Illinois State University. They originally met through mutual friends according to Edgar.

They did not meet at Central like most other teacher couples and they have not always worked together at Central. Edgar started teaching math at Central 25 years ago, and Barbara has taught Spanish at Central for eight years.

“He’s been a math teacher his entire career, but I graduated in finance,” Barbara said. “Then I decided to go back to college to get my teaching degree to teach Spanish. He has supported me in that whole journey and our hope was that I could work in the district because I wanted to be close to the family.”

The Watsons and their three children, Stephen, Michael and Grace, have all been very involved in the Central community since Edgar started working. Michael and Stephen graduated Central in 2009 and 2010 respectively, and Grace is currently a junior. According to Edgar, many family moments occurred at Central.

“Our kids grew up in this building,” Edgar said. “People that have worked here as long as I have knew them from the time that they were barely walking to the time that they were walking for graduation.”

Barbara recalls specific memories of important events in their children’s lives taking place at Central.

“Michael was so busy with his sports during the spring, so I brought his bike over and he got to see his first bike ride here at Central,” Barbara said.

Being a Redhawk is very important in the Watson family. The family actively supports Central athletics, especially girls’ soccer, which Edgar coaches and Grace participates in. Additionally, Barbara sponsors Red Rage, which Grace participates in as well.

“We love being here, and we love the community,” Barbara said. “It’s a very special place for us and I look forward to coming here every day. It’s special to me that our family is here. “