Q&A: Officer Egan

How long have you been a school resource officer?

For four years. I worked in two junior highs: Lincoln and Madison.

What are you responsibilities?

The generic answer would be to help kids [and] provide them with a safe, secure environment to learn. To take it a step further, I investigate crimes. [I] also work with the deans and staff to problem-solve on anything that might potentially involve the police.

Have you done anything other than being a School Resource Officer?

I started as a patrolman. I’ve done things like field training… I teach firearms [and] defensive tactics in our department. I taught [at the] fifth grade [level] at the Too Good for Drugs program. That’s when I started in the school system. When we had to cut that program due to budget, I moved into the middle schools.

If you weren’t a School Resource Officer, what would you be?

My ultimate job would be working as a sportscaster for ESPN or something like that. I think they have the best job in the world.

What activities were you involved with in high school?

I ran track, played basketball. I played baseball but not with school. My hobbies were definitely, whether competitively or just recreationally, all kinds of sports. I also like to watch [sports]. Still [do].

First impression of Central?

It’s a big school. Compared to what I came from, my biggest obstacle is learning my way around. In some ways, I equate myself to a freshman. You come here for the first time and [you’ve got to] learn your way around. But the good part is I already know some of the staff, and I know a lot of the students so it makes my job that much easier. I’m excited, and looking forward to working here.

What is the best piece of advice you could give to high school students?

Be yourself. Don’t get caught up in any peer pressure. Now you’re getting older and decisions that you make can impact the rest of your life. So, before you make any decisions stop and think for a second. Be mature and make the right decisions.