Central comes together to celebrate world kindness day

Cameron Rozek, News Editor & Online Editor

Wednesday, Nov. 13 was World Kindness Day, and the 65th anniversary of the well renowned show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.” In honor of these events, the host network of the show: WQED (the Pittsburgh public broadcasting station) has encouraged people to wear a cardigan, in the style of host Fred Rogers.

Fred Rogers was the host of the show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”. Rogers is well remembered for his emphasis on kindness and accepting everyone. 

Rogers’ show was targeted towards young children and tackled complex issues from racism and descrimination, to feel-good stories aimed to help children learn. The show ran from 1968 to 2001 and was well revered by several generations.

As a celebration of Rogers and his kindness, the WQED TV network encouraged people to wear a cardigan, the trademark article of clothing that Rogers wore for every episode.

There’s no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.

— Fred Rogers

Many teachers and students at Naperville Central participated in cardigan day. Staff and students could be seen in sweaters, prompting talk about the show and Rogers.

The celebration was brought to Central by the library staff.

“The library staff agreed that we would all wear our cardigans,” said library director John Hayward. “Then I thought, ‘what is we could get everybody [at Central] to wear cardigans, so I went on the announcements and told the staff.”

The Central staff originally was working on promoting kindness and anti-bullying, but the opportunity to include a tribute to Rogers fell perfectly in line.

Many people watched Rogers’ show as a kid, including Central Chinese teacher Michael Kralovic, who grew up new Rogers’ hometown of Pittsburgh, Penn.

“[As a kid] I really enjoyed the land of make believe.” Kralovic said, “[Mister Rogers Neighborhood] was simple and really well put together.” 

WQED chose world kindness day to connect with their event because of the loving nature of Rogers and his most famous quote: “There’s no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.”