Boys’ soccer, girls’ volleyball fall to North in Sectional semifinals

Alison Pfaff, News Editor

Two of Naperville Central High School’s varsity teams ended their seasons at the hands of crosstown rival Naperville North on Tuesday, Oct 28.

Redhawk soccer had a close class 3A Sectional semifinal finish against Naperville North with a score of 2-1.

“The funny thing about soccer is when it comes to the state playoffs, a single elimination tournament is it requires not only being good but requires being fortunate,” coach Michael Ortiz said.

The team also suffered one other loss to this season, to North at DVC with a score 2-1.

The season was successful overall, accomplishing goals such as winning the Best of the West Tournament on Sept. 6.

Girls’ varsity volleyball won their first set of their Sectional semifinal against Naperville North with a score of 25-18.  Their victory did not hold up, however, as North won the next two sets: 25-21 and 25-14.

“Naperville North is a really incredible volleyball team with a great program, and they were ranked much higher than us,” senior Leanna White said.

North won against Central both times they played each other this season.

“Volleyball is a game or errors,” head coach Jeff Danbom said. “We make some unforced errors. We make some forced errors. With the loss, they played well down the stretch, but we made some errors that ended up costing us.”

To prepare for next season, the players and the coaches will do more off-season training.

“If we don’t do a single thing to better ourselves, then we deserve to come in and be the exact same team we were when we left,” Danbom said.

Regardless of the season-ending loss, the team says it had a successful season. As a young team, Danbom thinks they have improved a lot since the season began, not to mention the fact that the team’s annual Dig Pink event raised around $30,000 this season, a success by any measure.