• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Male athlete of the year: Christian Nussbaum

REGULATING+WRESTLING%3A+Christian+Nussbaum+tackles+his+opponent%2C+winning+the+crosstown+match+held+at+Central+on+January+7%2C+2016.+
REGULATING WRESTLING: Christian Nussbaum tackles his opponent, winning the crosstown match held at Central on January 7, 2016.

Photo courtesy of Christian Nussbaum

Photo courtesy of Christian Nussbaum

Zain Habib, Co-Business Manager

This year’s Central Times male athlete of the year is Christian Nussbaum.

Nussbaum, who is continuing his football career at Wheaton College next year, has contributed to the athletics program a great deal. Through the athletics program, Nussbaum has learned life lessons and valuable leadership skills.

As a freshman, Nussbaum played on the football team and competed on the wrestling and track teams. As a three-sport athlete, his schedule was hectic, but he found time to finish his schoolwork, maintain a social life and get a sufficient amount of sleep.

“It’s tough to do sports and do well in school,” Nussbaum said. “You have to set a very tight schedule and stick with it. As long as you do that you should be fine. Sometimes, though, after a hard practice or game, I’m just too exhausted to do anything else.”

This year, he achieved sixth at the state wrestling tournament.

Mujtaba Ahmed, a senior wrestling teammate of Nussbaum’s, explained his rise at the state tournament as predictable.

“He’s the hardest worker on the team and he always pushed himself farther than most people can comprehend,” Ahmed said.

Joe Lopez, Nussbaum’s wrestling teammate, thinks of Nussbaum as a role model for all future athletes.

“When he makes a goal in his mind, he will do whatever it takes to make that goal,” Lopez said.

Nussbaum’s athletic abilities have also translated into success off the field. In addition to having captain roles on the football and wrestling teams, he is also a part of J. Kyle Braid Leadership Foundation (JKB) and Younglife as well as numerous volunteer organizations.

“Being a student athlete, I try to take a leadership role in whatever I do and that’s just important to me,” he said. “I think those skills will become valuable later in life, especially when I start my career.”

His success in high school football has led to a Division III offer to play varsity level as a center.

While he is ending his wrestling career after high school, Nussbaum is thankful for the opportunities wrestling provided him.

“My true passion is football, and I just want to be involved with the sport as long as possible,” Nussbaum said.

Student athletes are high achievers at Central and Nussbaum is a great example.

When asked about any lessons he has taken away from high school athletics, Nussbaum simply replied: “Once you’ve wrestled, everything in life is easier.”