• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Drumshow ‘Evolution’ displays variety of percussion skills

Alana Cervera, Staff Writer

As the lights dimmed, a hush fell over the audience. Instruments filled the stage and performers prepared to play their first piece. After five months of practice, they were ready to impress the audience.

On April 7 and 8, the 21st annual Drumshow featured 14 musicians and special guests from the Advanced Steelband, the JSO combo rhythm section, horns, a couple male singers and singers from the Chorelles. The cast performed three times throughout the weekend and had a sold out show on April 7. The performance lasted one and a half hours and was built around the theme of “Evolution.”

Brandon Estes, assistant band director and director of the Marching Redhawks, explained the Evolution theme and how it related to the show.

“The idea behind it was that we were going through the evolution of percussion instruments from a more historical, prehistoric percussion,” Estes said. “We just develop through the course of the show into more modern uses of percussion and the modern xylophone and its brothers and sisters. [Drumshow] is very collaborative.”

The performance showcased a variety of songs and genres. Ranging from familiar pop songs to playing pieces with household items like flower pots and PVC pipes, the show also featured many different kinds of instruments. Songs contrasted from being loud, soft, slow, quick, and the number of performers changed each time.

“It’s a way for a patron to enjoy a percussion ensemble in a more contemporary setting,” Estes said. “They can enjoy and see the technicality, musicianship and sensitivity. There’s much more to percussion than just banging on a drum.”

The students played college-level music and practiced stage performance techniques to encourage audience participation.

Sophomores Caleb Frank and Prateek Dullur both enjoyed playing Drumshow and shared their favorite part of it.

“It’s […] more exciting,” Frank said. “[It’s] more like a show than a [band] performance.”

Dullur agrees.

“[It’s] a lot more professional with the amount of time that we practice,” Dullur said. “The general attitude is much more serious about what we’re playing. It’s more fun.”

For freshman Tori Charmoli  this was her first time playing in the show. She talked about what makes Drumshow so special.

“We add stage presence to our performance,” Charmoli said.  “We really want to make it enjoyable for anyone who comes to the show. The most exciting thing about performing is when the crowd really gets into what you’re doing. When the audience get’s excited, I get more confident, and overall [it] makes the performance more fun.”