• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Short-lived demonstrations leave injustices forgotten

Navya Bellamkonda, Correspondent

Everyone wants change. In this current political climate, the best solution seems to be the fastest one, but these are not the days of the Vietnam War and protests aren’t as effective as they once were. Often protests are only for short periods of time, leaving the subject of the protest forgotten. Protests are rarely organized and almost never all aligned with a specific goal. They are often organized simply by word of mouth and social media, and the anger simply fizzles out after the protest is over.

The problem with protests is that they don’t bring about change because people never truly act towards their goal; they just express their anger.
One of the major problems with protests is that they are short lived. Protests may be all over the news, but only for a day before they are forgotten by a majority of the population. Due to the ephemeral nature of these protesters, they are often not taken seriously and fail to bring about the change they were aiming for. Along with that, simply shouting in the streets isn’t enough action to amend the wrongs.

Art by Yuna Lee

Public demonstrations is a short-term solution, and long-term solutions often mean long-term commitments. People have to see that you mean business and understand that you won’t back down if you want to be taken seriously. Whoever you’re trying to convince, be it politicians or just your boss, they have to see that you want something and won’t give up. They should see how meaningful it is to you. It’s easy to win the favor of the masses over social media, but it’s harder to get people who really care.

According to the Atlantic, in a 2009 experiment by Anders Colding-Jørgensen of the University of Copenhagen, Colding-Jørgensen, created a Facebook group online protesting the demolition of the historic Stork Fountain in the Danish capital. Ten thousand people joined in the first week of the creation of the group, and after two weeks the group had 27,000 members, regardless of the fact that there was no plan to demolish the fountain. This just shows how “easy it was to create a relatively large group using social media.”

Art by Yuna Lee

Creating uproar online or in real life is not the same as taking action. We are in a world where getting support is easy, but starting an initiative and taking action is hard. Protests can turn into just large-scale support without action or understanding to back up the emotions. To teens in high school, protests may seem like an excellent solution to rectify the injustices of the world, since they provide a way to make your voice heard, but shouting on the Internet or in the streets doesn’t often bring about the necessary change.

High schoolers are young and can fall prey to false information that can be spread during protests on social media or in real life. Though there are always things to be angry about, it is better calmly express your opinions rather than shouting.