• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Protests represent diversity in America

Vivian Zhao, Staff Writer

Living in America, it’s important to understand what makes us Americans. This role comes with 10 fundamental freedoms that define the nation we are living in today, the first of which played into the birth of the US: freedom of speech.

When we are engaged in nonviolent protests, we’re actually exercising this first freedom.

Abraham Lincoln once declared that our democracy is a government “of the people, by the people, for the people.” This includes letting the people’s voices be heard.

However, I’m not just talking about the democratic value of protests.

In fact, Quartz, a digital news outlet, cites a Harvard study, saying that “[Harvard’s] research shows that protest does not work because big crowds send a signal to policy-makers—rather, it’s because protests get people politically activated,” inspiring a new wave of political engagement.

Even violent protests are effective in bringing attention to issues dividing America. Take the Ferguson unrest in Missouri, for example, which was sparked by the shooting of an innocent black man by a police officer. In the end, a large series of controversial debates arose about not only the shooting, but also racial problems in our country.

Darlena Cunha writes in the TIME 2014 article “Ferguson Riots: In Defense of Rioting”, “[We] separate [protests] from our history as a nation, dehumanize the change agents because of their bad and sometimes violent decisions—because if we can separate the underlying racial tensions that clearly exist in our country […] we can continue to ignore the problem.”

What sometimes escapes us is that despite the seeming ugliness of protests, they will bring to light specific problems we would’ve happily looked over before.

Some may not realize that students can be a great part of protests as well, a good number of them organizing their own.

In 2016, the Wall Street Journal wrote that, “Hundreds of students walked out of D.C. public schools […] in a protest organized on social media […] objecting to the election of Donald Trump and sending a message of ‘unity’ from a diverse student body.”

The sole purpose of protests isn’t to motivate our politicians; it’s bigger than that. These protests can inspire the very people who make up our nation’s power: us. More often than not, high school students are part of these inspirations as well, using their first fundamental freedom to represent the diversity of America— and that’s a very crucial thing to do.